What Should The Legal Drinking Age Be?

Most places in the United States have their legal drinking age set for 21 since the Drinking Age Act was passed in 1984. Ever since then it hasn't changed that much only with some smaller states changing it to higher or lower it. However, currently it is set for 21  no younger and no older for all 50 states in the US. Some have argued it should be lowered to 18 because it will actually help lower death rates and binge drinking in younger teens. Some also argue it should be highered.

Many argue that if you lower the MLDA (Minimum Legal Drinking Age) to 18 then it can lower binge drinking in underage youth and encourage responsible drinking habits. Lowering the MLDA will normalize good and responsible drinking habits among the youth. Those are some of the reasons why we should lower the minimum drinking age to 18.

However, some argue that lowering the legal drinking age to 21 would be bad for the youth and have more deaths by drinking rise. According to the cdc, "Excessive drinking contributes to more than 3,900 deaths among people below the age of 21 in the U.S. each year". 

https://tinyurl.com/stephens-edu

https://tinyurl.com/cdcalcoholfactssheet

What age do you think the MLDA should be at?

Do you plan on consuming alcohol when your older?

What is your opinions on drinking age?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the minimum legal drinking age should be 18. If turning 18 makes you an adult and makes you responsible for going to war and if you commit crimes you are charged as an adult, you should be able to drink and you should be counted as "responsible enough".

• In Germany, you can already legally start drinking beer and vine at 16 years. I think that 18 years is a good age for the legal drinking age because people should be responsible enough at that age. Furthermore, you have/get many more rights when you turn 18, so you should also be allowed to drink. 

• I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 or the age to be drafted should be raised. i understand why its set at 21 but it doesn't seem right that you can risk your life before you can drink. i dont plan on being a regular drinker but ill probably drink at events.

• I think that the minimum legal drinking age should be eighteen years old. I don't think drinking alcohol sounds as fun or cool as people make it out to seem. It may be fun in the moment, but I don't think hangovers sound very fun. I think that if we are old enough to go to war at eighteen, then we should be able to drink at eighteen.

• I agree with you. Even when I turn the legal age of drinking and all of that stuff, I just simply don't think I will do it. It is really unhealthy for your mind but also it contain lot of unncessary calories per bottle. I just don't see a point.

• I think the drinking age should be set at 18 because if you can get drafted to a war and vote on the president I think you should be able to drink. When I get older I think I will drink a little bit. I think the drinking age is to old.

• I think that the MLDA should be the age of 18 because I think it's dumb that 18 year olds are allowed and trusted to own a home, go to war, and vote for our country but they aren't allowed to drink. I'm not sure if I want to drink alcohol when I'm older because my family has a history of alchoholism and I don't want that to continue.

• I think the drinking age should stay at 21. I think one of the reasons it is 21 is because most people go to college and they dont want you showing up to class hungover, even though people already do. Another reason is because it reduces car accidents and drunk driving. 

• I think that the legal drinking age should be 18 years old. Becuase if you are old enough to be sent off to war you should be able to get a drink while your at it. If you are able to become a working adult, it just makes sense that you should be able to buy alcohol. 

• I think that the drinking age should be the same. I think even though people younger than 21 are drinking when they are 18-20 and they won't get caught. I think that I won't drink a lot, especially with how many sports I'm in and it causes damage to my health too. I think that it's fine where it's at and some people are mature enough. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker