What Should The Legal Drinking Age Be?

Most places in the United States have their legal drinking age set for 21 since the Drinking Age Act was passed in 1984. Ever since then it hasn't changed that much only with some smaller states changing it to higher or lower it. However, currently it is set for 21  no younger and no older for all 50 states in the US. Some have argued it should be lowered to 18 because it will actually help lower death rates and binge drinking in younger teens. Some also argue it should be highered.

Many argue that if you lower the MLDA (Minimum Legal Drinking Age) to 18 then it can lower binge drinking in underage youth and encourage responsible drinking habits. Lowering the MLDA will normalize good and responsible drinking habits among the youth. Those are some of the reasons why we should lower the minimum drinking age to 18.

However, some argue that lowering the legal drinking age to 21 would be bad for the youth and have more deaths by drinking rise. According to the cdc, "Excessive drinking contributes to more than 3,900 deaths among people below the age of 21 in the U.S. each year". 

https://tinyurl.com/stephens-edu

https://tinyurl.com/cdcalcoholfactssheet

What age do you think the MLDA should be at?

Do you plan on consuming alcohol when your older?

What is your opinions on drinking age?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that 18 or 19 should be the drinking age in the United states. I believe this because You are an adult and can make your own choices but some people shouldn't be allowed to drink if they have a history of bad choices in their record. I will probably drink when I am older,but I won't overdo it.

• I think that it should stay at the age of 21. I think this because teens already make bad choices when they are sober or have no alcohol in them. I do plan on drinking when im older but i dont plan on doing it all the time. I think the drinking age is perfect the way it is.

• I think the legal drinking age should be 18. Becuase, if you are able to get drafted into war and risk your life you should be able to go to a bar and get a drink. I do plan on drinking when im older. I also think the alcohol producers would make so much more money becuase so many 18 year olds would no buy alc every weekend.

• I think 18 should be the drinking limit because people would be out of high school. The only problem would be drinking while driving. If you drink at a party you should always have a chofer for you. It keeps people safe on the road. 

• I think the drinking age should go down to 18. Most teens already drink, and in some states, it's legal to drink at 14 if you are under parental supervision and you're on private property. I also think the point about it lowering the urge for teens to drink at a younger age seems pretty logical and it would make sense. Teens wouldn't have to wait as long to start drinking and they wouldn't get as big of a urge to drink as they do now.

• I think that the legal age should stay at 21 because at 18 your body is still growing. I get that if you're 18 you can go to war, so you should be able to drink, but at 18 you most likely won't go to war. If you do go to war or if you fight it's because you volunteered to. I don't plan on consuming alcohol when I'm older.

• 18 because if you are able to go to war and die for your country, you should be able to drink. No I do not plan on consuming alchol when im older that stuff is gross. I think the drinking age is dumb because you are able to go to war but not drink.

• I think that the legal drinking age should be 18. I believe that if you are old enough to vote and serve in the military, you should be old enough to drink. In my opinion, f you are a legal adult, you should be able to drink alcohol. I think that it would reduce crime because less people would be drinking underage.

• I am not sure what age it should be. I am not sure what the age should be because lowering the age in my mind would increase the number of deaths from drinking in minors. Also I think that it could raise the number of underage drinking, I think this because if it is lower then there will be lots of teens in high school who can then get drinks from their senior friends easier.

• I think that the legal drinking age should be 18 because when you're 18 you are kind of an adult. When you're 18 you are able to do a lot of things so you should be able to make your own decisions. I think that it could be bad because more underage drinking will occur though.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker