What's This? Pink Tax?

Pink tax. What is it? Pink tax refers to how most women's pruducts cost more than men's, solely on the fact that it's manufactured for women. I mostly heard of this Tax from TikTok and it made me wonder, what is the reasoning behind it? Why are some women's soaps, lotions, deoderants, razors, clothes, and even toys more expensive? Well Thankfully Mr. Brun's forum post assignments exist so you can read all about it from me.

Regardless of it's name, pink tax is not an actual sales tax, but instead a discriminatory pricing based on gender. Surprisingly, this tax is technically legal in most states, the only state in the US that has placed a ban on the pink tax is New York. This subject dates back to the 1990s when a report from California's Assembely Office of Research found that 64% of stores in several major cities charged more to wash and dry-clean a women's blouse than a man's.

Bringing you back to today, according to investment bank JPMorgan Chase, by many estimates, the pink tax costs woman and average of 1,300 dollars per year. These products can be used for both genders but the one's marketed for women are just more expensive for some reason. The DCA has also found that women's products cost more 42% of the time, while only 18% for men's products. One might say that most women are more prone to spend more on products because they are willing to do what it takes to please men or others, considering the fact that most women already spend enough on skincare and makeup products.

To be honest, I'm not really sure about this subject still, but I also think that it's kind of dumb to exist.

Why Do You Think Pink Tax Is A Thing?

Do You Think That This Tax Should Be Banned Across The US?

Do You Believe There Good Reasons for Some Things Costing More for Women Than Men? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that pink tax should be banned because it is unfair. I also heard from some of my friends that they are using male razors because they are basically the same but cheaper. I think it is unfair that businesses make profit on marketing like that. Mostly, the products are very similar to each other and just the color is different, so I don't see a reason why it should be more expensive. 

• I do think that Pink Tax should be banned, but I also know there are a few things that cost more. I think if they can prove that the goods they are using cost more, then they should be able to raise the prices. Maybe they use different materials and it costs more? 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker