What Defines a Sport?

What does wrestling, tennis, football and many other activities all have in common? They are all known as sports. According to the Oxford Dictionary sports meaning, “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment.” But what about esports, dance, marching band, and cheerleading?

Many people don’t think that those things are sports. I remember many debates with people that dance is a sport. Personally, I think those activities are sports. All those activities I listed do qualify to the Oxford Dictionary.  

Why do people think these things arn’t sports? Some of them do not have as much competition “to qualify” as a sport. For example, cheer is not all competition. But cheer fits the definition. Another reason is people don’t think esports are athletic. But the Oxford Dictionary doesn’t say it has to be athletic. 

In conclusion, many people have different thoughts about what defines a sport. It gets pretty debated. But honestly I don’t think it should be worth a fight. 

Do you agree or disagree with the definition of sports? 

Do you think that those things are sports? 

What sports are you in? 

Links 

https://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/story/_/id/11128302/espnw-former-college-cheerleader-says-sorry-cheerleading-not-sport 

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Argumentative-Essay-Why-Dance-Is-Not-A-FJ2NVZTUYV#:~:text=People%20should%20not%20view%20dance,not%20all%E2%80%A6show%20more%20content%E2%80%A6 

https://www.writeonsports.org/should-esports-be-considered-sports/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally agree with Oxford's definition of a sport. A lot of people don't realize the number of sports we have due to their personal views. I have heard a lot of debate about if cheer and marching band is or isn't a sport. I don't do any sports; however, some people view showing livestock as a sport. They believe this because we work every day and compete against each other, but it's the animal and not the human. 

• I agree! livestock showing is not very common and many people wouldn't think twice about considering it to be a sport. But its alot of hard work.

• I think that under the Oxford definition, there are a lot of activites that could be defined as sports. In cheer or marching band, activities which are commonly recognized as not being sports, you are still competing against other teams in competition and providing entertainment. I was in dance for many years and I always heard people categorizing dance as not a sport. But after reading the defitinion of the sport, I would definetly classify dance as a sport. 

• I think that almost every activity that gets your body moving should be considered a sport, especially dance and cheerleading. Personally, I don't do either, but a lot of people argue these aren't sports, when it takes time, dedication, strength, flexibility, and so much more to do both. I think that other non-traditional sports, like horseback riding, should be considered sports as well, because you don't just ride a horse, you train your body and your horse. 

• I 100% agree with you. I feel like what you said, "takes time, dedication, strength, flexibility" should be the definition of sports.

• You can count anything physical activity as a sport, and very few people will question it. As you said, the defintition is when an activity has physical exertion. Ergo dance, cheer, dance team, esports, and marchingband should count. There are competitions in each, and practicies, and awards, further proving how it is a sport

• I agree with the definition of a sport. I don't really care what defines a sport because you're doing something. There isn't really a debate cause who cares if it is a sport or not. I do not do any sports and prefer to work. I have never even thought about what a sport truly is.

• I don't do sports too.  I agree with you. Many people really debate about this mostly because, they want some sports to be in the olympics.

• I know this topic can be a huge argument with a lot of cheerleaders because cheerleaders want their activity to be known as a sport. So any physical activity is known as a sport from a google source. But at the same time, a lot of people are opinions based on whether some sports are actually sports. 

• I understand. Many people are opinion based. Since I did marching band, I would consider it a sport. But I know many people would not agree.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker