What Defines a Sport?

What does wrestling, tennis, football and many other activities all have in common? They are all known as sports. According to the Oxford Dictionary sports meaning, “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or a team competes against another or others for entertainment.” But what about esports, dance, marching band, and cheerleading?

Many people don’t think that those things are sports. I remember many debates with people that dance is a sport. Personally, I think those activities are sports. All those activities I listed do qualify to the Oxford Dictionary.  

Why do people think these things arn’t sports? Some of them do not have as much competition “to qualify” as a sport. For example, cheer is not all competition. But cheer fits the definition. Another reason is people don’t think esports are athletic. But the Oxford Dictionary doesn’t say it has to be athletic. 

In conclusion, many people have different thoughts about what defines a sport. It gets pretty debated. But honestly I don’t think it should be worth a fight. 

Do you agree or disagree with the definition of sports? 

Do you think that those things are sports? 

What sports are you in? 

Links 

https://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/story/_/id/11128302/espnw-former-college-cheerleader-says-sorry-cheerleading-not-sport 

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Argumentative-Essay-Why-Dance-Is-Not-A-FJ2NVZTUYV#:~:text=People%20should%20not%20view%20dance,not%20all%E2%80%A6show%20more%20content%E2%80%A6 

https://www.writeonsports.org/should-esports-be-considered-sports/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I personally don't agree with the definition stated. I think that sports are supposed to be a team, even in wrestling, your teammates are telling you some moves that you should do to help win the match. In some sports, you don't always see things or opportunities available but others do because of the different perspectives they have.

• I agree with the definition of a sport. I don't really care what defines a sport because you're doing something. There isn't really a debate cause who cares if it is a sport or not. I do not do any sports and prefer to work. I have never even thought about what a sport truely is.

• I agree. I don't see why its a big deal if somthing is a sport or not. Some people just have strong opinions.

• I personally don't agree with that definition. I think that sports are supposed to be a team or yourself againt another team or yourself. I do not think that cheer is a because your not against anyone your just cheering for your team and being loud. I am in wrestling and football.

• I see how you think. My brother used to wrestle. It seems really hard. 

• I believe sports are very competitive. Sports involve being active and working really hard to win. I also think dance should be considered a sport, because it is competitive, and the goal is to win. I'm in volleyball and track.

• I agree with you. I used to be in competition dance and it requires a lot of hard work.

• I think sports are physical and are against another team. I think that dance and gymnastics should be considered sports. They should be considered sports because you are physically moving and competing against another team. I think the definition of sports fits what I think it should be considered.

• I think that sports are not what the definition says they are. I think that being a sport should also include E-sports. These sports use mental and finger power to do things in a game. I play sports such as Baseball, Trap Shooting, Cross Country, Taekwondo, and Jiu Jitsu, and some of these sports can be very difficult both mentally and physically, but some video games could also do this. 

• Wow that is a lot of sports. I agree with you.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker