Was This Arrest A Set-Up?

Greta Thunberg is a 20 year old Swedish activist who fights against climate change. She tries to reduce her carbon footprint and other peoples. Even her parents have adopted her lifestyle. At the age of 15 Thunberg attended her first protest. She skipped school to protest outside the parliament. She protested for more action against climate change. Six days after her first protest she was joined by parents, teachers, and students. She has now been protesting agianst climate change for 5 years.

On Tuesday, January 17th, 2023, in Lützerath, Germany, she was arrested during a protest. Some people think that her arrest was ‘staged’ to bring more popularity to her. There are other people, including Greta Thunberg, that say it wasn't staged. The police released her out of jail a couple hours after her arrest. Greta then said, "Yesterday I was part of a group that peacefully protested the expansion of a coal mine in Germany. We were kettled by police and then detained but were let go later that evening. Climate protection is not a crime." Many people think it is absurd that she got arrested for protesting. The protest wasn’t violent at all, yet she still got arrested.

Personally I don’t think she should have gotten arrested for a protest that wasn’t even violent. I think that the police were overreacting. She just wanted to share her opinion about the expansion of a coal mine. I also don’t think that the arrest was all set up. If Greta wanted to set this up she would have had to pay people and the police to do what they had to and overall she would just waste her money.

Questions:

Do you think the police were overreacting by arresting her?

What is your opinion on climate change?

Do you think that the whole arrest was a set-up?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the police might have been overreacting by arresting her but it is also possiable that it had turned slightly violent and there could have been stuff that we don't know about because we weren't there. I do not think that the arrest was a set-up. I think this because I do not think that people would do that because it is a waste of money and time for little result. That is also what I think but it might get enough of a responce like it being poasted so it could be worth it to them.

• I don't know much about this topic but I will agree that they were overreacting. Greta was trying to share her opinion the same way she has been for 5 years. But, thinking on that, if she's been doing this for 5 years, why arrest her now? Why not before? Some may say it's because she was legally a child but I'm not an expert so I don't know. There are definetly ways it could have been a setup, bringing this back to "Why now?" But I don't think it was.

• I think the police were overreacting because Greta just wanted to share her opinion with other people about the expansion of a coal mine. 

• I do think the police were overreacting a lot by this circumstance. But, like with the BLM protests, the "peaceful protests" can quickly be very unpeacful or they had no essence of peace to begin with. I personally think climate change isn't our biggest worry. I do have a small thought that hints the arrest being a setup. 

• I think the police were definitely overreacting. She was protesting PEACEFULLY, she was not disturbing anyone's peace. I don't understand why they arrested her. I believe that climate change is a very real situation that needs to be dealt with ASAP. Our climate and planet are slowly deteriorating due to us humans over the last century. I feel like governments need to take more responsibility and work double time to make effective changes for future generations. 

• I agree, she was protesting peacefully with other people, yet she still got arrested while doing so. Even though she wasn't arrested for a long time that doesn't make this situation any better. 

• The arrest could have been a setup, it would make sense because I'm sure she wants more people to join the protests for climate change. But she could have gotten arrested because she obeyed the law. I've noticed that other countries are a lot more strict than the U.S. so she could've disobeyed a law she didn't know existed.

• That is kind of what I thought when I read about this situation. It probably wasn't a big law since they let her and others out a couple of hours later. 

• I believe that this arrest was a set-up. The German government would not arrest a peaceful protester. There is a video with several picture thats shows Greta Thunberg laughing with the german police before the protest, the relaxed cops were posing for pictures with her moments before the arrest.

• I didn't know there were any pictures of this. Now that I know I guess there is a posibillity of this arrest being a setup. If it was then that would be quite upsetting for some people. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker