Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• He didn't mean to. The teens could've hurt someone with their reckless driving.

I would mourn him.

Not just in police departments, but everywhere. You can't just assume something.

• I disagree. There is no proof that the teens were driving recklessly. I'm sure they were driving above the speed limit--to get away-- but that is no reason to shoot at the vehicle. There are car stopper devices specifically used by police. The officer could have used that if his main goal was to stop the car. Thanks for commenting!

• I also disagree. To me, it sounds like they were just starting to drive away fast and the cop shot at them. The kids did not do anything to the officer really the officer had no reason to shoot at the vehicle. If he was trying to stop the car he should have shot at the tire or something no where a kid could be shot in the head. I think that it wasn't right these kids were at a party, but it also wasn't right that the cop shot at the vehicle.

• I think it was probably an instinct and he was probably trying to avoid an accident from happening. I don't think that it was the right move to shoot....I would be grief-stricken if this happened to one of my friends or classmates, and I would do anything and everything to get the police fired. Racism is terrible, and the police should be educated, and if they show racism, they shouldn't be a police.

• I think they just "thought" they saw him as a threat and decided to shoot him. I think the officer should be let go he doesn't deserve his badge. I wouldn't know how to react to my friend being killed by another police officer. I think they should take classes and be told not to open fire unless they KNOW the person has a weapon they can't just go around shooting people because they think they can hide behind their gun and badge. 

• I agree. Officers shouldn't choose fire, until its needed. Officers always shoot first and that causes more trouble later on. There should be ways officers can be trained to look for signs before shooting. 

• I think that he probably just panicked and decided to shoot. I think that he should be suspended or fired. I have no idea how I would react but I would probably be sad. I don't think that there is much that can be done to help with the issue of racism in police departments.  

• I would not have shot the kid i would have just injured him to slow down the process. The officer should get fired and also put in jail for murder. If i was a classmate i would be in extreme shock and would be scared for the rest of my life. Its just sad because in history if you are "black" then you are from the hood and you do drugs and are scary and have guns its called stereotyping and its hard to change that in the world.

• In my opinion, the officer seemed to have shot the car to stop them from getting away. Although, it doesn’t make sense, seeing as the officer could have stopped the car in many other ways instead of shooting immediately, knowing teenagers were involved in the party. If I were Jordan’s friend I would have been completely devastated. He didn’t deserve to be murdered, especially by someone who is meant to protect us. The fact that the officer lied in order to save himself from being convicted is disgusting. I believe police officers should have to take anti-bias training as part of their training program. This problem shouldn’t be ignored, we need to begin programs such as these to try to eliminate these acts of racism.

• I agree with you. The officer should have attempted to stop the car another way. The fact that the officer lied about the situation, is absolutely terrible and shows he doesn't deserve his position. The officer should be tried like any other person. Thanks for commenting. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker