Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Asia!

• I think that the officer was probably upset that they got away so he just shot at the car. I can imagine that the officer didn't think it would hit one of the passengers and would just scare them. If I were his friend, I would be extremely upset. Yes, he could have been drinking but that is no excuse to be shot at by a police officer. There are a lot of cases where kids run from cops but the cops have no reason to shoot at them. I don't know the whole story but I feel like this wasn't racism but just an not-thought-out decision. 

• I think he shot at him, because he thought he was armed, or was going to hurt him. I would've been very upset, because that's my friend, and now he is gone. If there are more races in the police fields, then I believe that their wouldn't be as much of a problem with racism. 

• I believe he shot him because he thought he might have had a weapon or was just trying to stop them from getting away. If I was his classmate I would try to support his family and help as much as the need. I think that they need o make sure the criminal is a harm before they draw there weapon.

• I think he just wanted the car to stop and didn't mean to shoot him. I would be very upset because I lost a friend. I think if they have different races in the police department then maybe it would help. 

• I that his intentions were just to stop the car, not to kill anyone inside of the car. I think that the cop should be charged with murder and arrested. I would be very upset because I lost a good friend. I think that there should be some classes to help the cop with gun safety, and more shooting practice just to prevent this from happening again.

• I can not think of why he would shoot and kill a kid driving away. I would feel sorry for his family and try and help them get through such a terrible time. 

• The officer probably thought that he was in danger or was provoked. He should be court martial-ed or interviewed to see the real reason why he did it.

• i think he made up that excuse because he shot at the cars tires and maybe the kickback moved the gun barrel. i would be very sad that a young promising person my age was killed for no resin. people go to parties. there is no need to shot at them.

• I am guessing the officer was just caught up in the moment and believed that things would get better if he shot down the car. Obviously, he was not thinking in his right mind. If I was a friend or acquaintance of Jordan I would be completely shocked and I would be so sad about his passing. I think racism in police departments has to be taught that everyone is the same on the inside. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker