Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the officer should get in trouble because he lied about what happened and he killed an unarmed person. I think he shot him because he panicked and shot at something he thought was dangerous. I would be very angry if I was close to him as he died for no reason. It seems like a lot of stories are coming up recently of police brutality and I think that officers should be trained differently. They should be trained only to shoot when absolutely needed.

• I agree with you. The officer was nervous and reacted fast. I think he should have called in for backup first or searched up the license plate number, and reacted after that. The cop should definitely be punished for murder and firing his firearm when it wasn't needed. Thanks for the comment!

• I believe the officer was freaking out and just got caught up in the moment. If I was Jordan's classmate I would be really mad. I think that whenever a cop shoots a colored person, the cop should get the same consequence as a normal person. 

• I think the officer shot Jordan Edwards because he was frantic, and he didn't want them to get away, so instead of going after them, because their car was going forward, and not toward the officers, he grabbed his rifle and shot an innocent teen out partying. I'd react by mourning the loss of a classmate, like a civilized person, regardless of his skin color. A person is a person, not matter the color of their skin. If cops would just accept other races for who they are as a person, and not just their skin tone, then the world could be a better place.

• I think the officer was just under a lot of pressure and he didn't want them to get away so he just started shooting which wasn't smart, if I were a classmate or friend of Jordan then I would be outraged and mad. I think racism within the police force exists but not to the level most people think, I think this officer should be reprimanded but people should not over react to this.

• I agree. The media focuses a lot on subjects like this one. It then encourages the next victim to over react and so on-- it causes a bigger deal in the future. Racism is everywhere in today's society, and it should be fixed. However, it is going to take some time. Thanks for the comment!

• I totally agree with you Brady, thats exactly what I was thinking happened. He probably didn't want them to get away so he just starting shooting, hoping to stop the car.

• I think the officer shot because of his frustration with the teens driving and i think this officer should be charged with murder. I would be so mad at the police officer and give him the honor he deserved. I think the officers should all go through a class about racism so we can delete the color part of mischief.

• I agree. People in today's society associate the color black with mischief and trouble. ts how individuals are raised. They will be who they are, regardless of their skin tone. Thanks for the comment!

• I think that the officer shot at him because he was trying to stop the car. He should get tried for murder because he did, in fact, kill someone, so there shouldn't be a rule that since he was a cop that he can't be tried. I would be shocked and upset, if I had known him. I think that these police officers need to be re-educated on how they are viewing races. Not all people that are black are bad and not all white people are good. This racism thing is getting out of hand and we need to make sure that we're all on the same even playing field. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker