Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with you. The officer was just doing what he thought was right in the moment. He didn't realize that the bullet was going to go through he car and kill someone but the officers really need to think before they just shoot. 

• I mean it's hard to tell he was probably just trying to help but did it in the wrong way. I think the brother was just trying to drive away fast and the officer took it was aggressive. He was probably trying to capture kids doing illegal things. I think he should be charged and have to stay in prison. He should also not be able to be a police officer anymore even if it was just an "accident". I would be very angry and upset that my friend was killed. People are going to have whatever opinion they are going to have but they should bring awareness to it.

• I think this also brings awareness to teenagers and parties. If this boy hadn't been at the party, he wouldn't have gotten killed. If his brother hadn't been driving fast, the boy wouldn't have gotten shot at and died. Thanks for the comment!

• I agree if you don't do things that are illegal, it's simple, you won't get in trouble with the police and you won't feel the need to run. Yes I think this cop could've dealt with this is a better way, but these teens also shouldn't have been at a party with underage drinking.

• He was possibly just trying to stop the car but he didn't do it in the right way. I think the officer should go to prison for a long time. I would be sad and also upset that this happened, it was not necessary. I don't know if anything can be done because racist people are going to continue to be racist no matter what.   

• I think maybe he was just in a difficult situation and he shot at the car. He obviously made a bad choice and did not read the situation very well. I would be furious since the officer shot the kid for no reason when he wasn't doing anything wrong at all. I don't really know how they could deal with racism in police departments. It is a hard subject to fix. They do probably need to address the issue though and show that it is not an okay thing to do. 

• I think he may have perceived the car driving away as a threat in the moment of time. when your body is racked with adrenaline your brain thinks only 2 thoughts. Fight. Or Flight.? this could be the reason he thought the car was driving toward him. I think the officer should have been relived of duty and probably should have some type of charge but I don't feel like he's a terrible person.  

• I think that the officer shot at the car to try to stop them from getting away. I think that he should be put in jail for awhile for this. If i were his classmate, i would be very mad, especially if i knew that he did nothing wrong.  I think that the environment of the stations should be changed, and that more black people should think about joining the police, so that people don't think that it is a "white man" job, and that they are not welcome.

• I agree.  The officer was trying to stop them and acted quickly.  I think if more black people joined the army, it would help with the issue a little. It could potentially help blacks in communities feel safer. Thanks for the comment!

• I think the officer shot at the car because he was just scared and when the car drove away it scared him and he just reacted. I would be very mad because the officer shot at him for no apparent reason and it's just very stupid on what the officer did. In my opinion i don't think their is racism at the police department because every time a white guy gets shot their is no news on the T.V saying cops are racist.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker