Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my opinion I think that he probably shot at them because he was trying to stop them from getting away. From what I read, the car wasn't driving aggressively toward him but was actually driving in the opposite direction, so the Officer shouldn't have shot at the car. If I was one of his classmates or friend, I would be completely devastated. I think that the school keeping his locket intact is a good way to remember him along with the helmet idea. I think that when police are in training they need to teach them that it is not okay to discriminate. Everyone should know this but sometimes you just have to teach people right from wrong. 

• I agree. The football team cared about Jordan and was like a little brother to them all. The way they are remembering him is great. I think discriminating is a major issue in today's society. Thanks for the comment!

• The football team cared a lot about Jordan, like she said and I also believe that he was like a little brother to everyone. They way they remember him is so great. Discrimination is a very huge major issue in today's society and we need to stop it. 

• I think he just shot at the car as one last attempt to stop them so they couldn't get away. I think he should be charged with manslaughter because it was his fault the boy died, so he should be fined and put in prison. I would feel awful and sad about what happened, especially if I was a close friend. I think there is a lot of issues with racism, so maybe there is a way that police officers should have to take more classes and training.

• Yes I agree with you! I think police departments should  consider adding a class or training session to help with this. I would hope the officer feels bad about his action and says sorry to the family. Thanks for the comment!

• I think that he didn't think before pulling the trigger. I also don't think that he purposely killed the teen but that doesn't mean he should of shot.  I think that he should have jail time like every other person who kills someone. If i was his friend then i would be upset and sad because he was a friend and didn't deserve it. I don't think that there is a way to stop it because its all up to how the police hand things along with the other person. 

• Yes! I think if the cop had a reason to shoot, it would be fine and no jail time should be served. However, because there is no evidence giving him a reason to shoot, the officer should serve time. Thanks for the comment!

• I think that officer shot Jordan Edwards because he got scared and just did it in the moment. I think that the officer should be charged with murder because the car was not driving towards the officers. I would be very upset because of the lost of Jordan. I would want to honor him anyway I could. I think that police officers need to be re-taught on when to shot and when not to shot.

• I don't think that the officer meant to shoot directly at Edwards, but he ended up getting shot so I think that the officer was trying to stop the car from getting away and thought to fast and shot at the car. If I were a friend or classmate of Jordan, I would be really sad and upset that someone who was close to me was shot for no reason. I think that racism in the police departments is a big problem and it needs to be addressed so that officers can learn what things they should and shouldn't do.

• I'm not sure why the officer shot Jordan Edwards. I think in the moment the officer acted quick and didn't want the car to get away so he shot and it ended up hitting Jordan and killing him. If i was one of Jordan's classmates, I would definitely feel sad and angry too. The police defiantly need to learn how to deal with these situations a little better. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker