Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree! Its such a sad story. There should be video footage of the accident, however there is not.  How should police learn to deal with situations like these better? 

• I think he did it because he didn't know what to do in that situation. He acted, but just in the wrong way. He should get charged just like he did. I would be super upset and sad that he was gone. Train and educate them better.

• The police officer probably shot at the car because he wanted to stop the car. The police officer was probably thinking that the car was running from the cops. I would be upset if I was a classmate or friend because it could have been me who got shot instead it was a friend. Racism has been a big problem with police men and citizens I don't think there will be a solution anytime soon.

• Yes I agree with you. His brother or friends, who was in the car with him, could have very easily been killed or injured too. I'm sure his older brother feels terrible. The officer should have reacted differently if he had thought that the car was running from the cops. Thanks for the comment. 

• I think to stop and or help stop this issue of racism in police department should start by addressing the problem and admitting that there is an issue. Than they could probably find a solution. But i don't think that they will find a solution to this problem anytime soon.  

• If I were Jordan's friend or classmate I would have been so shocked and mad and upset. I would be upset that my friend or classmate died. I would be shocked that someone I knew got killed by the cops for basically no reason. and I would be very mad at the cop for having shot him. 

• I agree with you. What actions would you want to take place after this? 

• After this I would take the actions of doing something about this and getting awareness out and try and stop this from happening to someone else. It is terrible what the cop did and he even lied about it too so I would do my best to get even with him for killing my friend. 

• Yes. I agree with you! I think if communities came together they could fix the issue. The cop may not have purposely tried to kill the boy, but no one will ever know for sure. Its terrible he lied about it. Thanks for the comment!

• I think that the officer didn't mean to hit him or shot him at all. I think the officer saw they car driving away and wanted to stop the car so he shot it and didn't realize that it could go through the car and kill someone. I think the officer should be charged will murder because not only did he kill the kid he also lied about the car not coming at him so he didn't have any reason to shot him besides the fact that the kids were running away. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker