Unarmed Black Teenager Killed by Police

A 15 year old, Jordan Edwards, was shot and killed Saturday night as he and a group of friends were leaving a house party. The party had attracted a lot of teens so a neighbor called police, worried about possible underage drinking. When Balch Springs officers showed up, the teens scattered, including Edwards and a few of his friends, who piled into a car driven by his older brother. The car then took off. One officer shot into the vehicle with a rifle as it was driving away, hitting Edwards in the head. The officer stated he fired at the car because it was "driving aggressively toward him and another officer." Camera footage revealed that the car was driving forward, away from the officers. The officer is now charged for murder and relieved of all duties.  Friends, neighbors, and classmates of Jordan are saying he was "well liked, kind, humble, hardworking, and an honor roll student. He made everyone's day better." Jordan's football team plans to keep Jordan's locker intact and design a helmet decal with his freshman number-- No. 11-- to honor him. 

To read more, click here

Questions:

1. Why do you think the officer shot Jordan Edwards? What do you think should happen to the officer?

2. If you were Jordan's friend or classmate, how would you react?

3. What do you think can be done to help with the issue of racism in police  departments?

I think the officer shot at Edwards and the car because he was probably trying to stop the car. It was adrenaline and instinct. Because camera footage reveals the car opposing no serious threat and traveling away from the officer, I think the officer should get charged for murder and should be suspended from his police duties for some time. If I had known Jordan, I would be shocked and wouldn't know how to react. I think more colored men and women should become involved in police departments. Police officers should also have to take annual classes to prevent shootings when they are not needed. I think the class should cover some discriminating lessons. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the officer didn't want the car to get away so he shot and it ended up hitting Jordan in the head. If i was one of Jordan's classmates i would definitely feel sad and probably a little angry too. I would probably feel like it was a little racist how it happened.

• I think the officer shoot to scare the people in the car so they would stop. The officer probably didntdo it on  purpose but he should have shoot at the tires instead of in the car. If i was the friend i would be very scared and wouldnt know what to do. 

• Because he panicked and just instinctually  shot. I think he should be charged with murder just like he is now. I would be sad that a good kid got killed for something so stupid. I don't think this was an act of racism. 

• I agree with you. Officers are trained to shoot and act fast, and this officer clearly did that. The officer should be tried for murder and his postion should be suspended. Thanks for the comment!

• I think he was shooting to make the teens worried and stop them. I think the officer should definitely be charged with murder and he shouldn't be an officer anymore. I would be extremely sad for losing a friend or classmate. I think they all need to stop and think what to do instead of doing what comes to their heads right away. 

• I think he was shooting to scare them to make them stop not to shoot them to kill. What is happening to the officer is good enough.

I think if i was jordans friend i would be upset but I wouldnt take action against the cop. In this case there isnt a Racist card to be pulled and if their is its honostly dumb because the person wasnt trying to kill them.

• I think it is also possible that he was trying to scare the kids and not harm them, but I also agree that his punishment is not enough. I would be really upset also. And I agree that there is no way of knowing whether this was a race thing. 

• 1. I think that he shot him because he thought that the teenager was armed, thinking of running, or had illegal substances. I think that he should be removed from his spot and he should be trialed.

2. I would be very saddened. I would try to support the family and do whatever I could that would help.

3. I don't think anything can really be done. If racism is a problem, that is a personal belief and you can't really for anyone to not be racist. 

• I think that Jordan Edwards shot because he didn't know if any people in the car could have had something illegal. I don't think the officer should have shot into the car and he should get fired because he no one was showing force. I would be shocked and a little bit angry that he was shot and killed by the police. I think that the police need to learn how to deal with those situations better and to not automatically shoot right away. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker