Two Die in Sledding Accident

Since when did sledding have severe repercussions? A pair of twin brothers were killed in a sledding accident when they and group of friends went down an old Olympic bobsledding course at Canada Olympic Rank in Calgary, Alberta on a regular purchased sled. The group of eight teenage boys entered onto the park's ground after hours to go down the track. "Part way down, the group hit a large gate used to separate the bobsled and luge tracks," police said in a statement. After they hit the bump, the sled crashed killing Jordan and Evan Caldwell. The other six teens in the accident we taken to the hospitals from injuries that ranged from minor to severe. 

My opinion: It's obviously a very sad, tragic event that occurred, but the boys should not have been on the premises in the first place. They were in the park after hours and went down the track whose purpose is to train upcoming Olympians. 

Questions:

What are your opinions? 

Do you think there should of maybe been security patrolling an old Olympic park?

Who would you find at fault of the incident?

Find full link to story Here.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good!

• I think that there should be security or something protecting just an amazing place. It's an Olympic sight, it went down in history, it's not just a random place. I don't think there was a fault to this, no one was watching them and they are the ones who wanted to try it out. I think it was just a plan accident. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree. The boys obviously should not have been on the park grounds after hours. It's an old Olympic Park so they should have known.

• Although this story is devastating, I feel that the teens are at fault for this. They shouldn't have been at the park after hours. I somewhat agree with more security being put in place, maybe just a few officers that can patrol the park to prevent things like this from happening. However, I think that this incident will provide awareness about trespassing and others will realize that there are always consequences for your actions.

• I agree, they were trespassing onto the park after hours. I do think that there should have been some type of security.

• I think it is very sad and I think they now will learn to not trespass. Also that its after hours I'm surprise that they are getting charged for trespassing. Also like you said they shouldn't be in the premises after hours.  I think there maybe should be some more now that it has happen. I mean there young kids and everything so really can't make it anyone's fault. 

• It is very sad because sledding is supposed to be a fun activity in the winter. Not a deadly activity. Anyway, there should be some sort of security whether it is actual security guards walking around for trespassers or security cameras. The children should be at fault for this for entering a closed premises. Then again shouldn't their parents for letting them go out after hours? Because clearly these kids were at one of their friend's houses or all met up, but their parents should'v been keeping a closer eye on them.

• I agree with your statement of more security whether is be cameras/alarms, more fencing, or security guards out walking the park. I think this incident could have been prevented. 

• I feel terrible for their parents that lost two of their children. I probably would've done the same thing given an awesome sledding course nearby. However, they should've checked out the track first (although that might be hard in the dark.) I don't think more security is necessary, simply more awareness. I think the children are at fault for this. They took the risk of sneaking in after hours to do this so they must pay the consequences. 

• I don't think that i would have done the same since it's trespassing. It's a little too far out of my comfort zone. I agree with your statement that the securitie (if there was any) should have checked the track first.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker