Sunday afternoon, thousands of people marched though the streets in support of immigrants rights. An estimated 3,200 protesters paraded from the Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe and across downtown. The participants were asked to bring American flags and dress in red, white, and blue because, according to Domingo Garcia (one of the event's directors), "this is really about America's values." Mexican immigrant and Dallas ISD teacher, Esseiny Alanis, stood with fourth grader Sanjuanita Rodriguez. Sanjuanita said she came because of her parents, who are also Mexican immigrants. She said, "I'm here for the family, for rights and for justice." Although a lot of the marchers are Mexican immigrants, the Mega march has a huge diversity of different cultures and ethnicity. Congressmen Joaquin Castro, a Democratic House member from San Antonio, stated, "In every generation there has been an immigrant in this country who has been disrespected, who has been challenged and tried. In every generation there have been politicians who have tried to divide Americans and turned them against each other, who have tried to turn the people against immigrants. ... But in every generation there have been ... people like yourself who have stood up and have said, 'No, that’s enough, we have to treat people with respect.' ”

Link to article: https://www.dallasnews.com/news/immigration/2017/04/09/mega-march-immigration-rights-begun-downtown-dallas

Questions:

1. Do you think that this was an effective way to show support for Immigrants in America? Why or why not?

2. What are your views on the treatment of Immigrants today and throughout American History?

My Opinion:

I definitely see a difference in treatment of people of other ethnicity. It's especially ironic given that everyone in this country is decedents of different minority. Your family got here somehow. The only people that are truly 100% American are the Native Americans. Other than that, the U.S. was founded and built by immigrants. We are the biggest melting pot of diversity in the world! I think that the rally and Congressman Castro's words especially hit the point right on.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done overall. You could have commented to more as there weren't many to comment to.

• Big events like this always get a lot of press and it get the people talking so it's helpful. If the event stays peaceful, it's a very good action. The treatment towards immigrants today is almost always based on the fear of unknown and grouping people together just by one tiny detail. That causes all the bad attitudes and treatment. It's always been there even if people don't realize it.

• Yes it is great that this got publicity. The reports of the head count were from the police, but luckily not a single arrest was made. It was a peaceful march and offered a lot support to the cause that the protesters were trying prove.

• This mega march is a very admirable way to support immigrants, it shows others they aren’t the monsters the media portrays them to be. In fact, many of them are children with dreams of justice, who are constantly being horribly mistreated, regardless of their friendly nature. Throughout American history, immigrants have not been treated pleasantly. For example, Japanese immigrants and Japanese-Americans, living in America, were forced into internment camps during World War II, simply because one of our enemies was Japan. Nowadays, business owners take advantage of their immigrant employees by paying them far less, knowing they can’t defend themselves due to fear of being deported.

• I completely agree. There has been a lot of shady history in America with immigrants. the Japanese is a good example. I know that for a long time people wouldn't hire someone who was Irish because they believed that they were lazy workers. We see all of the differences even today. Many immigrants are treated so poorly.

• It's one way to show support to immigrants; I'm not sure about effective since it depends on how the people react to this. Well not every immigrant is treated the same some are treated better than others but that's only because of the people around them and the state government.

• I do think that this will make a difference to some people but not all people. I myself have no problem with immigrants, only the ones who commit serious crimes. I think that your point about how your family got here is an awesome point, I never thought about it that way. Almost everybody in the Unite States is an immigrant if you think of it that way. Yes, we were born in the United States but we were born from somebody who was an immigrant who was born from an immigrant and that just keeps going. I think that immigrant are poorly treated and it's not fair to them. Most immigrants come here to make a better life for their family. 

• I think it was a good way to support other races of people coming in to America. I think this because anyone is ok to join the "Rally" and can be very effective to show congressman and other officials whats new and whats in America. Today I feel like the way they treat the good immigrants is somewhat wrong because they are not able to get good jobs and arent able to support their family's 

• Yes, because thousands of people, even of different races marched to support the immigrants, and that stands out to the government. Immigrants are treated poorly, they always have been. Now a days they are treated a little bit better but they are still treated very unfair. 

• I agree that people can definitely see a difference in treatment of people with different ethnicity which is always good. Today the view on immigrant is always bad because of the bad groups like ISIS and Al-Qaeda even though, like you said, everyone besides true Native Americans are indeed immagrants

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker