The Willow Project is an 8 billion dollar project that will go through a significant part of Alaska. It has been in the works for a while now, but it has been extremely controversial. 

"Today, the Interior Department issued a Record of Decision regarding the proposed Willow Master Development Plan in the National Petroleum Reserve-Alaska (NPR-A). The Department is substantially reducing the size of the project by denying two of the five drill sites proposed by ConocoPhillips, which is seeking to develop oil and gas leases it acquired beginning in the late 1990s. The company will also relinquish rights to approximately 68,000 acres of its existing leases in the NPR-A, including approximately 60,000 acres in the Teshekpuk Lake Special Area," (doi.gov)

Environment activists are concerned with the wildlife and ecosystems in the area. The project will pump 278-287 billion metric tons of carbon into the atmosphere over a 30-year time period. The pipelines will affect many of the animals in the area and cause the rates of respiratory illnesses in the Native American community to go up. 

"The project includes approximately 11 miles of roads, 20 miles of pipelines, and 133 acres of gravel, all of which reduces potential impacts to caribou migration and subsistence users. The actions will create an additional buffer from exploration and development activities near the calving grounds and migratory routes for the Teshekpuk Lake caribou herd, an important subsistence resource for nearby Alaska Native communities. They significantly scale-back the Willow Project within the constraints of valid existing rights under decades-old leases issued by prior Administrations," (doi.gov).

It will help give our country more natural resources. It will help us by having American based drilled and mined resourced, making us not have to get imported goods for our cars and other fuel ran vehicles. 

In my opinion, I think that this will hurt the people in the area tremendously. I understand why the native people in the area are upset. I feel like it will also have a negative effect on our planet. I don't think hurting animals and their ecosystems is worth the oil and coal we will get. All drilling is harmful and this project is no different. 

What is your opinion?

Do you think it should or shouldn't of been passed?

How do you feel about climate change? 

Source 1

Source 2

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I feel that this project will significantly damage Alsaka and its wildlife. I feel that we aren't focusing enough energy and resources on the fact that the glaciers are decaying. I think it shouldn't be passed because it would be more hurt to Alsaka than good.

• I agree with you. Alaska's natural habitat is going to be severely affected because of this project. The people and animals in this area are going to be negatively impacted. It will kill animals, their habitats, and their migration. It will hurt the Native people in the area, especially their lungs, food, and environment. Alaska is a beautiful state with things that make it unique. Why are we hurting it? For resources? To me, that is ridiculous. 

• I dont think the willow project should have been passed. Becuase, we already have enough polution on the world starting another project that will put so much more polution into the air. I feel like we are just killing the planet now because we already have so much polution adding more will be horrible.

• I agree, I feel like we are definitely killing our planet. The people and animals in the area are already going to be affected severely. But think about how it will affect all of us. Metric TONS of greenhouse gases will be going into our atmosphere. Not only is that harming our planet, but also hurts everyone and everything on this planet. 

• I do not think that the willow project should've passed. I do not think that these resourses and such are not worth putting animals, ecosystems, people, and the earth at risk.  287 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide, one metric ton is about the size of a house, 287 billion of those?! I cant imagine it. And thats only in 30 years. Im very conserned about what the future of this planet will be in 30 years if we keep treating our planet like this. 

• I completely agree with you. Not only will this affect people and animals now, but our future! Our Earth is already on a steady decline. There is so much drilling and mining already. Why do we need more? To make life easier for us? That isn't worth hurting future generations, and the people and animals that will be suffering now. 

• In my opinion there is good and bad things about this project. It s going to benefit the economy of the country but it is also going to affect people that live in that area and many animals. I agree that getting oil and coil is going to make a lot of money but it is going to hurt the ecosystem.

• I agree, there are definitely good and bad aspects to this project. It would definitely benefit our economy, but it would hurt so many people and animals. I feel protecting people and animals is far more important than natural resources. The negatives outweigh the positives drastically. 

• I dont think the willow project should have passed. I think that its crazy it got this far. I did not think it would get passed because of how stupid this project is. I mean, yes, it will give us some more resources but theres a whole ecosystem there that will slowely start to die within the 30 years. I thought everyone was aware climate change is already bad right now but with this project, I feel like in the 30 years we are just speeding up the process. 

• I feel like taking care of living humans and animals is more important than our economy. We are talking about living people, that feel pain, and that will be affected forever. The negatives outweigh the positives. I completely agree with you when it comes to this. I don't think it should have been passed. I think it is so stupid to put people and animals at risk for resources. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker