The Future of Super Bowls

Last year's Super Bowl was viewed by over 114.5 million people and eventually 120.8 million people watched it for the last few minutes of the game. Last year's game was the most viewed television program in the history for the United States. There were many advertisements last year that cost companies over $4.3 million for just a 30 second commercial, but there seems to be a problem for the Super Bowls and years to come. Statistics have shown that fewer and fewer children and teens are not playing football anymore. Some parents are not allowing their child to play football because they think that it is an extremely violent sport and that there are not enough safety rules in the game. Football is not the only sport that children have stopped playing. According to stats, about 4.3% of kids stop playing baseball every year and 6.8% of kids stop playing basketball every year, but football is in the lead for having about 30% of kids quit football every year! 

Doctors and many others are still trying to push for better safety regulations and better helmets for athletes in football. Some of the NFL coaches were even interviewed about the subject and some told reporters that they believe that the risk is not always worth the reward and hope that all athletes of all sports play safe and smart games. 

Read the full Story HERE

Questions:

1) Would you ever let your kid play football?

2) Do think that football has become too violent for kids to play?

My Opinion:

I would let my child play football because they may enjoy being about to get physical with people. I think that people need to remember that football was not meant to be a sport where nobody got hurt. I agree that they can still improve upon the safety regulations, but I don't want kids to quit playing football because I enjoy watching college and Pro football!

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I too would let my child play football if they really wanted to, but of course no parent wants to see their child get hurt. I think that kids should be exposed to physical sports but it doesn't have to violent. 

• I would definitely let my child play football if that's something they want to try or something that they're in to, but once they don't want to do it anymore that's up to them I won't force them to keep playing the sport if they don't want to. I don't think that football has become too violent for kids to play because the leagues keep coming up with new rules for safety issues. Like when NCAA induced the Targeting Penalty in college football to avoid serious head injuries leading to concussions.

•  I too would not to force my child to play something that they didn't want to. I think that football has been getting more violent, but I think that some people are making a bigger deal about it then what it actually is. 

• I would definitely want my kids to play football but if they didn't I would care. It's completely up to them if they want to play or not. I don't think football has become to violent at all. Football gets safer and safer every year. I think that people are turning football into a sport where if you play you will have a brain injury. It is a common thing but it is because some times the game is not played correctly. Football has evolved and it will continue to be one of the greatest sports ever. 

• I agree that football needs to be a little ore protective of it's players, but I too think that football should stay here and not be forgotten. I think that football has been so successful because people enjoy watching it and playing it as well. 

• Yes if they wanted to play I would let them, but not make them. No football is a full contact sport, it is meant to be rough and violent. 

• I would let my kid play football, at some times yes but at the same time it is the way of the game 

• My kids will play football if they want to. I will not force then to play but I also will not stop them from playing. Football has always been played the same way and yes athletes are getting bigger and stronger put the equipment is also getting better.  

• I agree with you Patrick that I will never make my kids go out for football, but I would encourage it. There's a reason why this sport has been around for so long and it's because many people enjoy playing it and watching it as well. 

• I wonder if this is because parents are worried about the safety of their children or if it's because children are getting lazier. Hopefully this will be more motivation to make safer equipment. I would let my children play football if they wanted to and could learn the proper techniques. Football safety has evolved to form a safer game but it could still be safer. I hope children can play a safe game of football and stay in sports.
This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker