The Artemis 1 Space Mission

This December marks the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 17 mission to the Moon. 1972 was the last time that humans walked on another celestial body. While some have waited their entire lives to witness mankind’s return to space, we may just see it happen in a few short years. With NASA’s newest and largest rocket, the Space Launch System (SLS) leading the Artemis program, we will be on our way back to the Moon.

Artemis 1 is the first of a series of rockets on a complex mission that will enable human exploration to the Moon and Mars. The Artemis 1 rocket sets the groundwork for the next two missions in the Artemis Program: Artemis 2 will send humans around the moon in 2024, and Artemis 3 will make history once again by landing on the moon in 2025, at the earliest. The Artemis 1 journey will take a total of 37 days to fully complete its mission. The purpose of Artemis 1 is to collect data and measure the safety of travel for future astronauts. Artemis 1 will not be carrying real astronauts due to safety concerns, but it will be carrying three high-tech manikins; Helga, Zohar, and Moonkin Campos. These manikins are humans models that are used for scientific research and are filled with sensors to determine how the body responds to space travel. They are just one of several science experiments aboard the mission meant to better our understanding of space travel. 

The Artemis 1 launch was originally scheduled for August 29, 2022, but was canceled due to engine issues. The next launch, set for Saturday, September 3, 2022, was also postponed due to a liquid hydrogen leak that they were not able to repair in time. The next launch will likely not take place until late September. With two scrubbed launches due to mechanical issues, concerns for the program have arisen.  People are concerned that because of the Artemis 1 failures, future missions will have similar results. While NASA assures the public that the program will take off, we have yet to see it happen. 

The Artemis program is a major step in the future of space exploration since we first arrived on the Moon in 1972. With the successful launch of Artemis 1, we could be looking at sending two more rockets to collect data and transport astronauts. Ultimately, mankind will return to the Moon, to hopefully begin the first permanent lunar presence, and to take us beyond. 

What do you think? 

Is Artemis 1 a good step for NASA’s space program?

Is Artemis 1 safe enough to transport astronauts?

https://www.vox.com/recode/2022/8/27/23323463/artemis-1-moon-orion-sls-nasa-kennedy-space-center-florida

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/03/world/nasa-artemis-1-saturday-launch-scn/index.html

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't know much about the space and rockets, so I wouldn't want to judge if Artemis 1 is safe enough to transport astronauts. But I think that it is a good step for NASA's space program. There is still so much to discover out there. And going back to the moon is probably a good way to learn more. 

• I think that its a good step forwards for NASA's program. I also think that its pretty cool that we are going back to the moon in over 50 years and to strart a permanent lunar presence will be really cool and who knows what can happen if all of this goes right. If it does go right we could be looking at mars.

• The outcome of this mission is unknown, but like you said that a lot can happen if this mission is succesful. This mission will enable future space exploration to other planets and further our knowlege of space. 

• I personally do think that Artemis 1 is great step in the right direction for NASA's space program. I think that making progress towards exploring and ultimately colonizing other celestial bodies is always a good thing for the future of humanity. I think that only time will truly be able to say whether or not the Artemis 1 will be safe to transport astronauts. 

• I agree with your statement that only time will tell if the Artemis program will be safe enough to transport astronauts. Even though there have been delayed launches, NASA's goal is to send a working and safe rocket into space. If they hadn't had these two launches to learn from, we may have sent another faulty rocket into the atrmosphere. With each mistake that we make, we learn from, which only helps us in the future. 

• I think that this  is a good step for NASA and their program. Humans have always had a wonder for the universe above us and if this program will succeed it will invigrate further exploration. 

• I agree, NASA has been working hard since our last mission to another planet, nearly 50 years ago, to create a rocket that will open up new options for space exploration. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker