The "Almost" Catastrophe of the U.S

In 1961 the us was sparred a tragedy of monumental proportion when 2 hydrogen bombs were dropped in North Carolina but didn’t detonate when a American b-52 bomber broke up midair during this the bombs were released the bombs engaged and acted as they should and there was only one low voltage trigger stopping the catastrophic disaster each bomb has 4 megatons of force that’s the equivalent of 4 million tons of TNT.

If these explosives went off lethal fallout could have been deposited from places like. Washington, Baltimore, Philadelphia and could have gone as far north as New York city- putting millions of lives at risk.

What do you think would’ve happened if the bombs went off

How could the us be affected by this event

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• yea it would have been years even decade but years after there would still be black zones locked off for radiation purposes

• I think the bombs would've caused catostrophic failure and caused a mess. Personally, I had never heard of this event until now. I believe that we are very lucky the explosives did not detonate. The expsplosives would have caused many lost lives and ruined many families.

• yea many americans and people generaly never heard of this event there conspiracy why but it was probably just not covered in detail

• I personally think I wouldn't be writing this if the bomb went off. The US would be in a huge time of need and that may be all some countries need to invade and take advantage of this accidental catastrophy. I do think that we are lucky that this didn't end the way it did

• If the bombs had gone off thousands of people would have died and even more would have been injured or gotten sick due to radiation. If the bombs went off the U.S. would have been crushed by the radiation and the mass panic that followed the explosion of the bomb.

• if the bomb went off then there would be a lot more deaths and the world would have to put a lot of money to fixing it and then we would be in more debt.  Now I think that the U.S. could plan to stop ot more/ prevent it by haveing better security stuff in the united states.

• yes this would have been a big problem increasig the national debt to probably billions maby trilions more than what it is now

• I think that there could have happened many terrible things if the bombs went off: at least casualties and destruction of several buildings or landscape. I also think that it could have impacted the health and the life in general of many, many people.

• Yes i can agrre that the impact of people health and lives were a bit factor in how this could have been a catastrophe

• If not casualties, hydrogen bombs can have many catastrophic affects: blindness if looking towards the blast, vaporization of the exploded area, tumors, and even blood disorders. It's hard to imagine the impact of an event like this, but it is very fortunate the bombs did not go off.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker