Tesla

Tesla founder and CEO Elon Musk tweeted that "we started Tesla. They made them when GM forcibly recalled all electric cars from customers in 2003 & then crushed them in a junkyard In 1996, GM had come out with an electric car called EV1, whose production came to a halt in 1999.''Tesla was founded in 2003, shortly after GM destroyed the prototypes for its electric vehicle, the EV-1. In 2004, Elon Musk came to the fledgling company and provided much of the initial capital support to run it. It was founded with the idea to create effective electric cars and sell them to the masses. To do so, it created a 3 tiered strategy. The first phase was to release a sports car, which was then the only effective type of electric vehicle in terms of return on investment. It would be followed by a $60,000 sedan, and eventually, a $30,000 sedan, sold to the masses. As often has happened with Elon Musk’s companies, the timeline for these events was a bit off. The first phase, the Tesla Roadster, was released in 2008 and was slightly more expensive than anticipated. It was sold for about 4 years and has not been manufactured since. The Tesla Roadster that SpaceX sent into space was purchased by Elon Musk in 2009. Elon Musk’s Tesla RoadsterThe Model S was the next car produced. It was originally released in 2012. There are a number of varieties to it, varying the battery size, and other features, but in general it was the first practical electric vehicle mass-marketed, albeit at a high price. Current prices for a Model S start at $74,500. There they experimented with technology like autopilot, supercharging, and others. The car has been continually improved via hardware changes in the factory, as well as software changes for the entire fleet. The Model X is similar in design but built to satisfy the SUV market. Tesla, unlike most other auto manufacturers, continually improves their vehicles, not in arbitrary year model versions like other companies.

Are you interested in buying a Tesla? Why or why not?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• i'm not interested in buying a tesla. The charging of a tesla take a long time and if you were to have a charger put into your home it would be very very expensive to the point it raises your electric bill. I would be interested in buying a tesla if the additional charges weren't that bad. they are also way to time consuming and cars that are fueled with gas are just so much better 

• I am not very interested in buying a tesla, because they are plain and very expensive. People ague that having a eletic cars are better than gas cars because you don't have to pay for gas to fill up your car. And electic cars you have to plug in, but you have to charge a car more than fill it up. 

• I personally would not buy a Tesla because I believe they are a little to expensive for my liking. 

• I'm not interested in buying a tesla. The charging of a tesla take a long time and if you were too have a charger put into your home it would be very very expensive to the point it raises your electric bill. I would be interested in buying a tesla if the additional charges weren't that bad.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker