Teen interning at NASA may have discovered a new planet

A teen from New York aimed for the stars last summer interning at NASA in Greenbelt, Maryland. The teen's name was Wolf Cukier, during Wolf's internship he was tasked with going through data on the star brightness for one of the ongoing satellite missions. This satellite was located 1,300 light years away from Earth, Wolf then saw something extraordinary which showed a slight darkness over one of the system's suns. About the slight darkness Wolf found out that it was a planet that was 6.9 times larger than Earth, which orbits two stars the scientist would say that it would be circumbinary planet. So Cukier started to write down a lot of important information about this planet so he can flag one of his mentors about this discovery he made. Later his mentors said that this was a once in a blue moon discovery that an intern would find.Cukier plans that in the future that he still wants to reach for the stars doing research for astronomy.

Click Here to read the article 

Questions:

1.) Do you think humans will be able to live on this?  Why do you think yes or no?

My thoughts:

Yes,you never know it'll be the next planet to go to which might be most like Earth.

2.)What do think would be different on this discovered plant compared to Earth?

My thoughts:

I could picture it that there would probably be different soil and animals, you never know that it might be like Earth at beginning creating dinosaurs the first mammals to walk the Earth.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Hannah!

• Of course human cant live on it because humanity is not so developed yet and to go to the nearest sun we need thouthands of years. I dont really think that people can do that and i dont think people can live on this planet. Well earth is unique and sciens did  not any planet comparing with earth yet and i think that everything will be diffirent.  

• I disagree with humanity is not developed yet on the planet because scientists would have to look into this planet for doing research to find out if it fits our essential resources to live on thi planet.

• Well we don't know yet if it would be able to sustain life since we have not been able to monitor the planet closely because just because it is bigger than earth and has some stars nearby doesnt mean it has oxygen or water. I think the planet would definetly be differnt from earth since it is a most likely uninhabited planet with who knows what kind of materials or plant it could have

• I definetly agree that NASA would probably in the future have some of their instruments improved in order to do monitoring on thsi planet.I also agree that this planet is bigger than Earth but may not have air or water but they still need to do further more research on this planet. Also it would definitely be cool if there was different materials and plants that probably not yet have been discovered or researched on it .

• Humans could potentially be able to inhabit this new planet. However, there are so many factors that have yet to be discovered in order to say yes or no. Some of the factors are breathable air, protection from the sun, and if the planet provides water. These are all necessary for humans in order to survive. Scientists need to do more research before we can determine if this new planet could be a new home.

• I definitely agree with you cause, there are factors that has to be discovered in order to make a decision of living on the planet.Also I agree that scientists would definitely have to do research to find out if this planet could may be our new home.

• I think that this new planet is not going to be habitable by humans but we also do not have very much information to be able to determine that already but you never know. I think that this planet would be like some of the other planets in our solar system consisting of lots of metals and rock.

• I agree that this planet would have some what alot of rocks and metals.Also I agree that NASA has to do further more research on this planet, so they can tell if it is or not habitable.

• I don't think that we have enough information to know if humans can live on this planet. It would also be very rare to find a planet similar to earth in having the same atmosphere and climate. It would also take a long time to get to this planet. I don't know what the planet would look like, but I imagine it to look nothing like earth. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker