Teen Curfew, is it Fair?

Teen Curfew, is it Fair?

Beginning in the 1990s, cities and counties in the U.S. that were concerned with rising juvenile crime rates began passing curfew laws. These laws limit the hours that teens under a certain age, usually 18, can be out in public. Most curfew laws apply to evening and night hours. Recently, though, some cities have enacted laws restricting children and teens from being in public unchaperoned during school hours. Teen curfew laws argue that the laws unfairly discriminate against teens who have done nothing wrong. I think that a curfew is fair to have for towns and cities. I think it definitely helps to decrease crime rates.

Do you think curfew laws for teenagers are unfair?

Do you think curfew laws can help reduce juvenile crime?

https://explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2257695992?accountid=66137

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that a curfew is a good thing but I feel that parents or family should make the curfew, not school or others. I feel that it should be a family discussion every family has a different view on curfews. 

• I think that teen curfews can be ok. They do keep teens from doing illegal things later at night. But, it also can make then sneak out and still do the same things. Cities with a large population should put curfews in place from keeping teens out late and night and doing bad things. 

• I agree curfew are ok and reasonable to help kids be safe and understand the limitations of their activities, but may be more helpful in bigger citys.

• I think that teen curfew laws are fair. I think that these curfews should be set by parents and not schools or businesses. I think that having a curfew would help with juvenile crime. If there are fewer juveniles out, there is a much lower chance of property damage, destruction, and other crimes. 

• I agree curfew is helpful and keeps kids safe and out of trouble. I believe that it is fair

• I think that curfew laws are unfair. I think you should be able to go outside anytime. I can understand if parents have curfews for their children but that should only be up to them and not the law. Most of the teenagers are mature enough in order to not do so many bad things. 

• I think that the curfew laws are unfair, people like to stay up late and when there familys need to sleep then the people go out side and they cant do that with all of these laws. I think that if they want to reduce juvenile crime then thay can make cops work more and patrole then towns more.

•  

I don’t agree, curfew is there to protect and regulate the activity during school hours.  I believe that it is fair

• In my opinion teenage curfew is unfair. There is a lot of people that don't do anything bad and they are required to be home at certain time. I think parents should be the ones deciding their kids curfews instead of having a general one for everybody. However, I think it can help to reduce juvenile crime because the number of people in the streets at night is very reduced.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker