Teen Curfew, is it Fair?

Teen Curfew, is it Fair?

Beginning in the 1990s, cities and counties in the U.S. that were concerned with rising juvenile crime rates began passing curfew laws. These laws limit the hours that teens under a certain age, usually 18, can be out in public. Most curfew laws apply to evening and night hours. Recently, though, some cities have enacted laws restricting children and teens from being in public unchaperoned during school hours. Teen curfew laws argue that the laws unfairly discriminate against teens who have done nothing wrong. I think that a curfew is fair to have for towns and cities. I think it definitely helps to decrease crime rates.

Do you think curfew laws for teenagers are unfair?

Do you think curfew laws can help reduce juvenile crime?

https://explore.proquest.com/sirsissuesresearcher/document/2257695992?accountid=66137

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• In my personal opinion, I do not believe that curfews are unfair for teenagers. Because teenagers are still minors I do not see it as unfair to set a limit as to how late at night they can stay out. I think that it does help reduce juvenile crime to a certain degree.

• I don't think teen curfew laws are unresonable, becasue what are you doing outside at 10 that is legal and when the cops show up everyone scrams. 

• I believe some teenagers can be more mature alone past a curfew. Curfews may reduce juvenile crime but it might increase the risk of juvenile crime in the daytime. Curfew to teenagers is just a couple words.

• I think that the curfew law for tennagers is set to a decent time of 12:00, it is a perfect time to keep the roads nice at night so there is not any injuries or weird people out super late lurking through the streets and parks wating for someone.

• I think that some kids are more responsible than others, which shows sometimes but of course people change. There was a time where I was in a bad place and got into doing some bad things with people, which inspired my mom to give me an early curfew. I've grew out of that, but there are some teens that do need a later curfew but their parents just don't trust them enough with it. I guess earlier curfews aren't a bad thing for teens who hang around not-so good people because usually its during the night that they do bad things. But an early curfew helps them stay out of trouble. I'm sure its fair for some teenagers, just not for others.

• I think that the cerfew is good and fair now i get why people think its unffair but lets be honest we all like to mess around and do things that arent smart and i think the cerfew helps students and kids stay out of less trouble and helps them do better things.

• I do think that for some kids, the curfew is good. But for some kids who are doing good things as night/ not getting in to trouble, they shouldnt have a curfew. So I don't think  there should be a curfew, because if you choose to do something stupid at night, thats on you.

• I agree curfew are ok and reasonable to help kids be safe and understand the limitations of their activities

• Yes, I believe that curfews are very unfair. My parents do not have a problem with me being out. But, I know some parents are. I mean yeah it could help crime but is anyone really gonna listen to a curfew just to prevent crime. cause mostly when crime happens nobody is around and if all other teenagers are out then crime would just stay the same.

• I think teenagers should be able to stay out longer than there curfew. 16 year olds only have till 12:30 to get home if your out. it should be longer or just not have a curfew. some teenagers get in to trouble at night but some are just fine. Its your choice and if you get in trouble then thats your fault.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker