Teen Carries Injured Competitor

Melanie Bailey is a senior from Janelle Hogenson High School in North Dakota. Last weekend her and her team traveled to a cross country meet in Northern Minnesota. During the race, Danielle Lenoue, a runner from Fargo, MN, fell during the race and injured her knee. This wasn't too far away from the finish line. Instead of carrying on with the race like most other competitors did, Bailey stopped and carried the injured Lenoue on her back to the finish line. This kind act created a new friendship. 

If you were in the race, would you have helped this injured girl that you didn't know, or would you carry on with the race? Why?

For more information click here

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good but I think you could have replied a bit more frequently in both of your stories.

• I would like to think I would help, but I would probably carry on with the race.  I would have to cart at the end of the race help her or notify someone at the finish line. It is a race and I am running for time.

• I agree with a lot of these statements. You have to be pretty generous to give up your own spot in the race. I also saw that a lot of you said that you would want somebody to help you if you got hurt. If you were Lenoue and you had this random girl come up to you, what would be some of your first thoughts as she was carrying you?

• I would because she is just like you. I know you want to win be you have to be generous and mindful to others too.

• If i could see that she was in real pain, and if I happened to be the first person to actually care about whether she was hurt or not then yes, but if people were already helping her then i would continue and finish my race

• I would probably carry on and win the race and then go back and help her get 2nd. Its probably really hard to carry someone on your back after running quite a bit so thats good for her that she can be able to do that

• I am in cross country and i can tell you that the last quarter mile is the hardest, and to stop and carry someone would make it harder, carrying your own weight can make you legs feel like jello but with someone else, that had to be terrible, plus she had to be pretty tough to give up her own place.

• I would help someone, because if I fell and got hurt I would want somebody to help to the end of the race too.  

• This is a very cool thing to do. I would do this, not to get attention, but to be nice and helpful. I know that if I was struggling in this race or had fallen, I would want someone to help me, so I would return the favor.

• You make a good point. Do you think that Bailey carried her competitor on her back for attention or just to be nice?

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker