This Sunday, Syracuse University suspended all fraternities activities after members of a fraternity chapter were connected to a racial “epithet.” This incident was a followup of several racial episodes at the New York state college directly towards minority groups, including racial slurs wrote in graffiti and spoke around the campus.. According to NBC News and Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud, “A group of fraternity members and their guests allegedly subjected a black student to a "verbal racial epithet" Saturday night.” Syverud said that even though only one fraternity was possibly involved that he was still going to shut down all fraternity activities for the rest of the semester. “Substantial evidence” was gathered by Syracuse’s department of public safety, that included security camera video footage. The series of racist incidents started on November. 6th, which were slurs against African Americans and Asians, involving the N- word, spoken and written in bathrooms. Graffiti signs against Asians began occurring involving, graffiti against them and swastikas on a snow bank near student living areas, and other places around the campus. Syverud said in his statement on Sunday, that a university donor offered a reward for evidence leading to suspects, and that anyone involved with it will be expelled.

click here to read more!

1. Do you think suspending all fraternity activities was the right thing to do?

I believe it was the right thing to do since they don't know who did it, its rightful that no one gets to do activities until everything is found out, but I can also see in a way how it can be unfair.

2. What else do you think the school should do regarding these attacks?

I think they should bring in legal action for whoever has done it, especially if they've been doing it multiple times, since this is a hate crime.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good story choice and well done Chloe! Be sure teo reply on three different days.

• I think that banning all activities was a bit much but I can understand why they would want to ban them. I think that the groups involved should be punished and that they could probably get expelled.

• I think that you shouldn't make the whole university and all the frat people suffer just because certain people were being stupid. I beilve they should expell whoever did this. Also, get the cops involved on the matter and have some sort of investigation done. 

• I agree that whoever did this should be expelled. What they did was not okay to do and they should be punished for such a hateful thing. I agree that getting the cops involved and having an investigation would for sure help the situation and help take care of it.

• I do think suspending all fraternity activities was the right thing to do. If it was happening with just a couple people throughout the fraternity then I would understand why you wouldn't suspend all, but since it happened with multiple people, I think suspending them was by far the best thing to do.

• I agree, if multiple people are doing it, it may be hard to determine who's been doing it if they target only one fraternity or something like that, because whoever did it may be in a different one and could easily get away with what they did and know one would know.

• Although suspending all fraternity activities may seem bery unfair towards fraternities not involved, I think it is important to do because it proves how big of a deal this is. If the incident was kept quiet then it would be passed over as okay, but the university must make it clear that this was not right. Legal action should be taken against the fraternities involved in my opinion. 

• I definitley agree with you, if the university hadn't have done anything, whoever was doing it would be getting away with it and would be passed as okay and they would have probably continued doing it because no action would have been taken. I also agree that legal action should be taken.

• I think it is unfair because the people that did not do it can not go to school and cant play sports. I think they should get more cops and inveting till they can find what happend but the bottom live what the people did is just not right so i can see why thwy would gel in trouble till they find out who did it.

• I think suspending activities was right because they need to sort everything out. Of course it's a bit of a headache, but its in the best interest. I think the school should teach whoever did this about racism and make them understand why they screwed up really bad here.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker