Student Dies From Workout

On Saturday April 18, 2015 Ryan Gillyard died during his workout. He was a freshman at North Philadelphia. During the middle of his workout he collapsed on the ground. He was rushed to the hospital but by the time he arrived it was too late. Ryan was always training for football, he was the linebacker for their football team. The school said Ryan was an amazing person and will be making a special day for him at the school. 

I think coaches are pushing students to hard at times. He was always practicing and having training with his coach on Saturdays. His death is unknown, but I think his body just couldn't handle it anymore. 

Questions: Do you feel like coaches can push their players to hard? Do you feel like high school sports are worth all the training and risks? 

Link

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that the coaches where pushing him to hard it was that he wanted to get better and maybe went to hard and didn't understand the risk of it

• I think so too! I dont think he knew what he was doing to his body at that point. 

• I think that coaches can push their players to hard. It normally doesn't happen, but it can.  I think that high school sports are worth it if you are willing to work at it.

• I think so! It just depends on how bad you want it. 

• I don't think that coaches try to push to the point where you want to collapse on purpose. I think that coaches want to very best for you and the team, so they push to see how far you really want things and they push you to see how hard you really want to work to be successful. I think that the reason why my parents sometimes push me very hard (sometimes to the point where I don't think they even care about how far I've come) is because they want the very best for me, and want me to give it everything I have in order to be successful- Coaches are the same.

• Thats a good point! I totally agree with that! 

• Some coaches push their players a little bit too far and some don't. They need limits but the players should also know when they've had enough.

• For sure!! 

• While some coaches can push pretty far, it is ultimately up to the kid to decide what his limits are. If he thinks the coach is going too hard, the kid can just stop working. There really isn't that much risk for training unless you put yourself at risk.

• True! I agree with that. This kid should have said something if he thought something was wrong. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker