Strictest Abortion Law in The US

On Wednesday, Iowa law makers passed and sent the strictest abortion laws to Governor Kim Reynolds. The bill is known as the Heartbeat Bill and bans abortions when a heartbeat is detected. A heartbeat can be detected at 6 weeks, and one of the many problems people have with this is the fact that most women don't know that they are pregnant by then. This bill has received extreme criticism and it will be challenged in hopes of taking it to the Supreme Court. Reynolds has not said whether or not she will sign it or not yet. There has been a surprising rise in abortion laws in the nation which have all taken place under the Trump Administration. According to Guttmacher Institute, 19 states have adopted a total of 63 restriction for abortions in 2017. These are the highest numbers of state laws since 2013. The laws include restrictions such as; 15 bills that ban abortions after 20 weeks, and 11 bills that ban abortions due to genetic defects like Down Syndrome.

Click here for the article.

1- what is your stance on this? Do you think that it is okay for women to get abortions, or do think that they are morally wrong?

I personally feel that women should be allowed to have abortions. What if the women's life is in danger if she has a baby, or the family can't support the child emotionally or financially? What if it's a young girl in high school? Yes there are protective measures one can take;however, they don't always work. Where some people disagree with high schoolers having sex we all know it happens and no child want to tell their parents that they have been having sex with their partners. And then the question of rape comes up. If a girl is rapped and gets pregnant should she be forced to carry it out? As well as girls who have inconsistent periods.

2- Do you feel that making the cut off 6 weeks fair to the potential mother 

No I don't feel that this is fair to the potential mother due to the fact that most women don't know by then. And periods fluctuate and unless you're on birth control can start a day before or after it started the previous month. Therefor this bill is using a back door to making abortion illegal.

3-Do you feel that it is right for a man to determine what goes on inside a womens body? Please defend your answer. I ask this because the majority of legislators are men

No I don't because it's my body and unless I'm physically harming myself it's no business of anyone else as to what I do with it.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Be sure to keep things respectful in here!

• I am fine with men having their opinions, but what I'm not okay with is men aggressively pressing their opinions on women. That's like men feeling entitled to decide if their wife should have a C-section or not. 

• I agree with it 100% because they are living people and nobody should ever choose someone elses fait. If your pregnant you should pay for your actions as a parent no matter what age. If you don't hear a heartbeat it still doesn't matter they are people to.  

• I agree with you, I think the law is fair because the baby is still a person and you should not get to decide what happens with its life. I think even waiting for the heartbeat to be detected is still late, but better than no law at all.

• It depends on the situation. If the mother's life is in danger then I support it. If not then I don't support it. They made the choice.

I do support it. At that time you can hear a heartbeat.

Depends. If it is something that could harm them then yes. if not then no.

• I don't think they should beable to get abortions it is agaisnt the amendment, which means you are basically breaking the amendment if yu do get an abortion. If you chose to take the chance then it is your problem to deal with its not the childs fault. You take 9 months of your life for a child to have their whole life thats not to much to ask for. 

• I understand if you are personally pro-life, but since abortion is legal and women have the choice, no, this is not fair to the potential mother. Sometimes abortions take a lot of consideration once you know you're pregnant, but if you already can't get one by the time you find out, it might as well be illegal altogether. 

• I agree with you 100% that even if you know you’re pregnant by this time (which most women don’t) it takes a lot of time and thought to decide if you want to have an abortion or not. If you’re pro-life, you don’t have to have abortions, but you can’t control everyone as much as you’d like to so it should be legal for the people who want one. 

• I consider myself both pro-life and pro-choice in a way. Personally, I am pro-life because I wouldn't get an abortion and I don't like abortion, but I'm pro-choice in the sense that I believe women should be able to choose what they want to do regardless if someone else thinks it's wrong.

• I respect both of your opinions as to if you don’t feel as if you could ever have an abortion, that’s your choice. It’s not like having an abortion is this amazing thing that everyone should try, but I think that women have the right to choose what happens to their bodies and I’m glad that you have the same views.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker