Stress in Schools

There are lots of students that try to aim for A’s in school (academic success) but stress, anxiety, sleep, and depression are stopping them from reaching that goal. Stress can help keep students on track and motivated with classwork. On the other hand, too much stress makes it harder for students to focus on classwork and get things done on time.

Helpguide.org states, “It can suppress your immune system, upset your digestive and reproductive systems, increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, and speed up the aging process.” Stress can suppress (weaken) your immune system. A weakened immune system means you are vulnerable to many infectious diseases. No one wants to have a stroke or heart attack, but stress can increase your risk. Stress makes the heart work harder than it’s supposed to. It can also increase blood pressure and sugar and fat levels. Batonrougeclinic.com states, “Study participants who reported the highest stress levels were 33% more likely to have a stroke than those who felt less anxious or stressed.”

The CDC states that to reduce stress “eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, and give yourself a break if you feel stressed out. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate.” I believe all of that would help decrease stress but not fully get rid of it. There will always be stress you will have. I think that teachers should either not give out as much homework/extra work or talk to each other and assign homework on different nights or at least limit the amount of homework there is each night. A lot of people, mainly students, think it's only students that have stress at school, but it is not. Teachers get stressed from school as well. An elementary school in Nashville TN uses a “tap-in/tap-out” system. This allows a stressed teacher to send out a quick message to one of the colleagues in the building to relieve them from the classroom setting. Teachers are there to educate the students not to basically live there. Teachers get to school before school starts and sometimes stay 1-3 hours after school ends. Some schools are cutting teachers some slack for tracking work hours and time spent in the building, which I agree with.

What do you think schools should do to decrease the stress students and teachers have?

Do you think that stress is impeding you from achieving your grade goals?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that students can be overworked and can get very stressed from school. To help students out, the district should lower the grading scale to something that is easier to achieve and maintain. Teachers should try to limit homework to a minimum and offer as much help as possible to students.

• I personally don't feel any stress.  I'm a stress free person. I don't think that school causes so much stress but it could cause stress to some kids.  Grades could cause issues with some students because they try hard on their school work and don't get the grades that they want.  I personally don't feel stress.

• I think there are many things that teachers can do to reduce stress. We don't just go to school, we work, play sports and much more. Teachers should limit homework and make sure it is easy to learn. Most of the things we learn it seems we will never even use them in a real world application.

• I think that most of the stress that students have is because of the work that the teachers are giving. I think that sometimes there should be a little give in why the student doesn't have the assignment done, but if it keeps occuring and is just because they don't want to do it, then they should be held responsible.

• I don't think that student's stress levels are necessarily caused by the school, rather than the teachers or students. Sometimes teachers can tend to give out a little too much work, or not be very understanding, but I also think that the students have themselves to blame for being stressed. Most students don't know how to talk to a  teacher to ask them for more time or whatever it may be, and a lot of students don't know how to efficiently manage their time, so I think that when homework builds up, that they just stop trying and kind of shut down. I think that stress will only interfere with grades if the student does not really care. 

• I feel like if a student fails becuase they didnt wat to do it i believe they should be held responcible. But, if a student had an emergency or a game or didnt understand i think the student should inform the teacher before it is due like an email the night before but yeah if they student couldnt do it i believe they should get a second chance.

• I think if a kid doesnt get their assignment done and they have a good reason like they had a game, didnt understand it or was busy. They should talk one on one and give them another day. If they dont have it done just because then they should probably get punished or a lower grade.

• I think if a kid doesn't get their assigmnment all the way done and they explain they were really busy the night before and just took a break because they were stressed out. And the teacher gives them the rest of the day or until the class to be able to finsih it. 

• I think that teachers should collaborate with one another to reduce stress from tests and homework.  I know from personal experience that having 3 tests in one day can really make you anxious and jittery. However, a little stress can help push students to get work done and to study. If teachers collaborate they could work together on what homework and tests they give out that week. 

• I think that teachers should talk to one another and find a way to reduce the homework. Some classes have assignments that you have the whole week to work on it, that makes it really helpful, because then you can prioritize your homework.  I think that a little stress can push us to get things done, but too much stress can push us so far that we have panic attacts. It also can depend on how you feel about your grades. For example, there are people who are perfectionists, and they want to have A's in all their classes, so they might get really stressed over a B, while there are other students who are totally ok with a B instead of an A

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker