Stress in Schools

There are lots of students that try to aim for A’s in school (academic success) but stress, anxiety, sleep, and depression are stopping them from reaching that goal. Stress can help keep students on track and motivated with classwork. On the other hand, too much stress makes it harder for students to focus on classwork and get things done on time.

Helpguide.org states, “It can suppress your immune system, upset your digestive and reproductive systems, increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, and speed up the aging process.” Stress can suppress (weaken) your immune system. A weakened immune system means you are vulnerable to many infectious diseases. No one wants to have a stroke or heart attack, but stress can increase your risk. Stress makes the heart work harder than it’s supposed to. It can also increase blood pressure and sugar and fat levels. Batonrougeclinic.com states, “Study participants who reported the highest stress levels were 33% more likely to have a stroke than those who felt less anxious or stressed.”

The CDC states that to reduce stress “eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, and give yourself a break if you feel stressed out. Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate.” I believe all of that would help decrease stress but not fully get rid of it. There will always be stress you will have. I think that teachers should either not give out as much homework/extra work or talk to each other and assign homework on different nights or at least limit the amount of homework there is each night. A lot of people, mainly students, think it's only students that have stress at school, but it is not. Teachers get stressed from school as well. An elementary school in Nashville TN uses a “tap-in/tap-out” system. This allows a stressed teacher to send out a quick message to one of the colleagues in the building to relieve them from the classroom setting. Teachers are there to educate the students not to basically live there. Teachers get to school before school starts and sometimes stay 1-3 hours after school ends. Some schools are cutting teachers some slack for tracking work hours and time spent in the building, which I agree with.

What do you think schools should do to decrease the stress students and teachers have?

Do you think that stress is impeding you from achieving your grade goals?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that to decrease the stress of students homework should be limited and students should be given time in class to complete it. The grading system could be altered to lower the stress of teachers. I am typically a good student but stress can occasionally cause me to get a grade that I dont neccessarily want. 

• I agree. It seems like teachers give too much homework instead of classwork. I agree with you that teachers should give you class time to work on an assignment. I think that stress effects grade big time.

• Yes, I think schools should decrease the amount of (home)work for students and teachers. Moreover, they could teach the students a better mindset about stress and how they can deal with it. I think that stress is affecting me because sometimes I am so stressed that I can't concentrate anymore and so I can't study for tests. 

• I agree. They should teach students how to deal with stress. Also, students get so stressed that they either can't remember or they don't have the energy to do the work. Stress can cause a lot issues with studying and school work. 

• I think that they could make stress go down by giving out less homework, that means the kids don't have to worry about getting it done and the teachers don't have to worry about grading that much more stuff. I personally don't have much stress but I think for some people it does bring there grade down.

• I agree. Students are stressed mainly because they have a lot of homework. Teachers are stressed mainly from having to grade assignments and test. Therefor, teachers should give out less homework and test. That would help the students and teachers with stress.

• I personally belive that schools should really cut back on how much homework they give us because I think that is one of the main reason why students do not get very much sleep and are stressed. and like you said If I've had a stressfull long day I don't want school work when I get home I just want to relaxe.

• I agree. It seems like teachers assign a lot of homework all at once. Students sometimes just want to relax after school especially because some students have other activities like sports after school. School is just way too stressful.

• Schools could do many things to decrease, like either elliminating homework or just decreasing the amount. Stress does impact my grades in schools because after a long stressful day, I don't want all my schoolwork to carry over into my home. 

• Yes, I agree with everything you said. It seems like it is just repeated over and over again. You get a lot of homework, then you are stressed, then you get a bad grade then you put more stress on yourself to bring your grade up, and repeats over again.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker