Street Legal Cars

Some countries have regulations of what cars are considered road legal. Most cars out there are road legal, but an act in 1985 made it so that every newly made foreign vehicle must pass a strict inspection or it will have a 25 year ban on it. Some of the car manufacturers that were impacted were most Japanese brand cars such as Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, ect. The reason they were banned was because they didn’t meet the safety standards the U.S. has. Unlike today most cars have met the safety standards, but older cars such as a Nissan Skyline which didn’t meet today's standards cannot be imported until 2024 since it will have been 25 since the car was manufactured.

Some people also like to collect cars from movies like all the Aston Martins James Bond used. Though some are legal they still are what the government calls “collectables” and are only meant for showcasing.

Other people like to collect race cars, but those are meant strictly for competing and not for the public road. Those cars can be a safety hazard. Then there's the famous supercars like Bugattis, Mclarens, Paganis, ect. Super cars are high performance sports cars and are typically road legal, but it depends where you live and what car it is. Some countries have banned the use of super cars outside of a track and can even take them away if that law is broken.

Then the last type of cars that are not considered road legal are heavily modified cars. The modifying of a car's engine came about in the 60s but really started to take off in the 90s. The tuning of cars can make them illegal. Some of the most modified car brands are Hondas, Nissans, Subarus, and many others. This has led to many cars to be inspected even more than the 25 year regulations. These types of cars are generally ones that perform illegal street races. Though there are some places where you can specifically take them to race and drift they are also public hazards like race cars. All in all, not all cars are street legal. 

Do you think all cars should be road legal?

Do you think the government should be more strict or not? Why?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that safety is the number 1 thing people should focus on when it deals with driving. If a car is going to be a danger to me and other people on the road then I don't think it should be legally allowed to drive on the roads here. I also think that the governments regulations on street legal cars is fair as it is right now.

• I think that most cars should be road legal to an extent. I think that race cars should be excluded becuase people will just drive around their race car for fun and not pay attention to the effects. I think that the government should be as strict but I do think that they should still be somewhat strict.

• I agree with you because some people may not be paying attention to the road and may cause an accident so i think that racecars should be driven by certain people only 

• I don't see a problem with most of the cars they deem as illegal. Except for maybe like Formula 1 cars, all cars could be legal. The modified cars don't do anything to harm the roads or environment. The government could lay off of the vehicles like offroading ones. Especially in the country area. 

• I don't think all cars should be road legal because we don't need car that are going to cause distraction in traffic. I think the government should be more strict because most of the tax money goes toward road and we don't need our roads ruin by these cars.

• I don't agree with you because some cars like racecars are fun to drive but can only be driven on tracks. I think that if people were to drive a racecar around they should have a special license. I can agree with what you said about our roads being ruined by these cars but not everyone would want to drive a car around.

• Yes I think that all cars besides formula 1 and drag cars should be able to drive on the road as long as you are following the rules and not drifting in the middle of a public road or racing when other people are around unless you are on the freeway and are getting a countdown when you are moving. You should always be safe and not do anything too stupid if it was like this.

• I think that laws on cars that are legal and illegal are fine right now. I don't believe that it is currently not a problem. 

• I don't think that all cars should be street legal. Some cars can be modified to how many can enjoy them. Some trucks should not be able to lifted to a certain amount. They shouldn't be able to lift their truck to the size of a monstor truck. I don't think the government should be more strict on it. 

• I agree with you because if you lift a truck way too much it may cause you to not be able to see ahead that much and may cause an accident. Some could be lifted to a certain height for the people that like to lift their trucks.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker