Star Pitcher in Boating Accident

José Fernández, age 24, died from a boating accident this Sunday. The boat was found at the bay of the Miami Harbor upside down on rocks. Two other men also died in the accident. Fernández was no the driver of the boat. The company of the boat said that it could only reach up to 55-65 mph. Two of the bodies were found under the boat, and the third was on the rocks. The names of the other two men are not known right now. José Fernández was originally from Cuba, but came to the U.S. at the age of 15. He then went on to be the star pitcher for the Miami Marlins. 

For more on the story, click here. 

What do you think could have caused the wreck?

What are some cautions that can be taken when driving or riding in a boat?

How would you react if you were to find a celebrity dead?

Overall thoughts??

I think this is a devastating story, and a loss for all. I think that maybe the driver of the boat was not paying attention to his surroundings. I would not go 65 in a busy areas especially in the harbor. I would be nervous if I found a celebrity, but I would get the Coast Guard right away or who ever is around. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job overall but you replied on two different days instead of three.

• I think the driver could be to blame or maybe a malfunction with the boat. I think drivers should always be aware of surroundings and should make sure their boat is safe to drive. I would be surprised and sad for their family and fans. 

• I agree with you because many transportation devices have malfunctions nowadays and there are a lot of recalls.

• I think that maybe the driver was not paying attention and crashed in to the boats, especially with it being able to reach up to 65 mph. I would drive carefully especially in No-Wake zones, like the harbor. I would be nervous and shocked, but I would call 911 right away.

• I think they were driving at night and could not see the rocks ahead of them. Well I probably wouldn't drive a boat at night. I think it would be horrible to find anybody dead celebrity or not.

• I think that maybe they hit a rock or something distracted them causing them to crash. You should always go within reason of speed while driving a boat in the harbor. As a passenger, you should help the driver if you see anything he is doing wrong. I would be super nervous to find a dead celebrity. I would call for help right away. 

• I agree with you because usually there is a no idle zone for boats near the harbor.

• I definitely think that driving a boat with friends is dangerous. Friends cause distractions, especially if they had been drinking.  I think there are several factors that could have played into the wreck. Following all of the rules of normal driving and paying close attention to the water and your surroundings are definitely important to stay safe. I would be shocked if I found anyone dead, let alone a celebrity! 

• Well if they were drinking alcohol then that could be a huge factor for them wrecking, there could be many factors to this wreck but thats a huge factor. The person who is responsible for driving should drink and should definitely keep his attention on the driving part. I would be scarred for life that would haunt me forever!

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker