Do you know what the requirements are to become the president of the United States? As of right now, there are only three requirements you must be 35 years of age. You have to be a natural-born citizen of the united stats. Finally, you have to live in the United States for at least 14 years. I think they should add one more. In my opinion, you should have to serve in the military in order to become president. The president has the power to wage war without having it cleared by congress. Why should someone with no military experience be allowed to launch our military into war? 

Only 26 of the 46 presidents have served in the military. Before World War II the majority of presidents that served in the military were in the United States Army. After the war, most of the presidents that served were in the United States Navy. I personally think that the president should be required to serve in at least one branch of the military in order to be elected.

Should the president be required to serve in the military?

Would you ever run for president if given the chance?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Thomas,

This is a great topic but you didn't reply to any student comments and its a week late.

• I think that the president should be required to serve in the military, after all, most military generals/high-up people in the military became president frequently in the early times of the country.  I would never run for president because people would hate me no matter what, and because I have no idea what to do. 

• I think it would be nice if the president had been in the military because then he could know more about what needs to be fixed and what it's like to be in the military so he can make better decisions. No, I don't think I would want to run as president if given the choice. It doesn't look very fun and I wouldn't like being so popular and watched.

• I think that presidential candidates should have some type of military service before running for president. The military teaches a certain type of discipline that is not learned anywhere else. The president should also understand what it is like to serve the country they are leading. 

• yes I think that you should have some kind of service before you become president. I think that they will understand more what it is like to send troups and come home. I think that will care more and treat them better because they know what is like. 

• I think that you should not have to serve i the military to become president, sure if you served in the military you would be way more strick on wars ect, because you have been there. If i was givin the chance to i would not but if i got offerd to be president i think that i would do it, just to see how hard it would be. 

• I think that the president should have to have time served in the military. I think this because the military would give the president a different way of thinking. They would actually know what the frontlines look like. I don't think that I would every run for president because it is too much work.

• I think that they should because it would make them a better leader and they would have a better understanding about PTSD. I also think that it would pull more voters who served in the military for the person running who was in the military. i also think it would be good for us because if we ever went to war they could have good war plans.

• I personally don't think that you should be required to serve in the military in order to be president. Although being in the military would help that person by being a better leader and giving them a first-hand experience in serving our country. I probably would not run for president if I was given the chance. 

• I do not think that it should be required to serive in the miltary in order to be president. Having faimly or somone close to you that has been in the military would be nice to give you some hints of military and a little bit of background so that way you know a little more.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker