Do you know what the requirements are to become the president of the United States? As of right now, there are only three requirements you must be 35 years of age. You have to be a natural-born citizen of the united stats. Finally, you have to live in the United States for at least 14 years. I think they should add one more. In my opinion, you should have to serve in the military in order to become president. The president has the power to wage war without having it cleared by congress. Why should someone with no military experience be allowed to launch our military into war? 

Only 26 of the 46 presidents have served in the military. Before World War II the majority of presidents that served in the military were in the United States Army. After the war, most of the presidents that served were in the United States Navy. I personally think that the president should be required to serve in at least one branch of the military in order to be elected.

Should the president be required to serve in the military?

Would you ever run for president if given the chance?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that serving in the military should be a requirement to be able to serve as president. I understand the other criteria needed to be able to serve, but I don't understand why military time should be a requirement. Having that time in the military wouldn't help with the many other aspects of the presidency.

• I don't think it should be a requirment to be president. Some of our greatest presidents were not in the millitary like lincholn and FDR. However, being in the millitary teaches you alot of things people could use in the election. The experince gives you very good skills.

• I don't think they should be required to serve in the military because some people who have served have gotten PTSD or other mental illnesses. I think that no one should be forced to serve in the military if they don't want to. I would never run for presidency because that would be so stressful and people can be brutal towards you if they don't agree with your opinion.

• I think the president should have military experience if he is in charge of the US military. The president Should have more than just military and political experiance too. If I were given the chance to become president I would decline because it would be too much work and a lot of pressure.

• I do not think that the president should have to serve in the military because a lot of great leaders would not be able to run for president.  However, I do think that this would help us in wartimes. I think that it would be nice to have a president that served.

• I don't think they should be required to serve in the military because some people who have served have gotten PTSD or other mental illnesses. I think that no one should be forced to serve in the military if they don't want to. I would never run for presidency because that would be so stressful and people can be brutal towards you if they don't agree with your opinion.

• There's a lot of history of presidents who once served in the military, but I don't think that it should be required. A lot of people that have served in the military suffer from PTSD or other mental challenges. There has also been a lot of good presidents that didn't serve.

• I have no opinion rather people should have to have military experience to be the president. I think that it may be good because it takes extreme leadership to be in combat. A president who was once in the military probably wouldn't fold under pressure like others.

• I think that the canidates for president would be much lesser if they had to have served in the military. I do not know if it would have a good affect or bad affect on who becomes president. However, I do not think that it will change anyway because we have been doing it like this for centuries and it appears to be working fine. I would not run for president if I was given the chance.

• I don't think the president should be required to serve in the military. They used to say that it makes the country better and more patriotic. But it really doesn't, sure it helps a candidate when running for election, but there have been many great presidents who weren't in the military. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker