Should You Give Money to the Homeless?

When presented with the opportunity to help out someone who is homeless, what is your go-to option? Do you take out your wallet and offer what you can, or do you opt to get this person in need food? Both possibilities could potentially save lives and are good choices to be made. With one option you are financially boosting a person significantly in need, and with the other, you are feeding someone who maybe hasn't had food in days.

Many people have strong opinions on how they think the homeless should be helped. A big argument is that helping a homeless person in need by donating money to them is not a good idea because the person receiving the money could be spending it on drugs. This idea perpetuates the notion that all homeless people are heavily addicted to drugs and it is dehumanizing and harmful to those who are in genuine need of help. Many people who are homeless prefer to receive cash or monetary donations instead of edible donations because food can be hard to store and can be bought with said monetary donations. Money in general is preferable because it can be used for many things like toiletries and other necessities along with food. 

In general, when you decide to donate or help someone, it should be selfless. When you take the time to help you should not be passing judgment on those you are helping. Not every homeless person is addicted to drugs and giving homeless people food instead of money could be harming more than helping in some situations. You should always ask before donating, and if you would rather just donate food, maybe you should donate canned goods and nonperishables to your local food bank or church where homeless people can receive it when they are in need of it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-cb-help-homeless-money-street-20190524-story.html 

Would you give money to the homeless?

Do you think it is more ethical to give money to the homeless?

If you were homeless would you prefer to receive money or food?

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that giving homeless people money is something that people should do if they have money if they don't have money then, I think you should save it but if you have extra money to spare then you should. not every homeless person uses that money for drugs. 

• I think that if people give money to the homeless it is good and I don't think it's a wrong thing, but there are some homeless people that don't use the cash for the right reason. Some of them use it for drugs and alcohol and the money goes to waste. It would benefit them more to give them food and water.

• I think that giving money to the homeless is good, but I think that giving food is much better. If you give them money, there is no gurantee that they will use it on something good for them. There's always a chance that they go buy drugs or alcohol, so food is much better to give.

• I, and im sure many others would agree that giving food maily and little money if any to give them. Who knows what they will buy with money, it can sure be anywhere away from buying food, clothes or any essitals they need.

• I have gave some money to the homeless but i would  rather give them food becasue then they cant use it to buy drugs or alcohol or something they are addicted to. Giving them food or clothes will help them be warm and not hungry 

• I would rather give food than money to the homeless. I say this because there are some people acting like they are homeless to get money. So if you give them money they will have a meal to eat and that will help more than money that they could spend on something that they don't need. 

• Honestly, I think it would be good to give them a mix of both, if you give them food they could save the money they've already been given for something else instead of spending it on food, especially since food is getting more and more expensive. But some people might hesitate to give them money because they may think it will be spent on drugs or alcohol, but sometimes money is the better option because they can save it to eventually get shelter or some warmer clothes.

• I give a little money to the homeless just so they can get a hand up. I think the homeless would rather get money than food because food expires and money doesn't. I would want money not food because I can buy food with money and I can only eat the food.

• I would give money to those in need. I think that it is ethical to give the homeless money because it is just extra help to get them on their feets again. If i was homeless I would rather receive money because I could save it up to eventually make some progress in getting off the streets.

• I would give money to the homeless because they don't have much. But you never know if they might use the money for the stuff they need, They might use it all on drugs and other stuff. I would rather receive food because i need the food to survive and i need the protein and energy.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker