As you can see there are many people who go out for sports, but there are also many students who are failing some classes and are in sports. Most schools say that if you are failing a class or classes you can not play the sport for a week or two. It just keeps you more focused on your homework and classes, so instead of going to practice after school or games then you go to the teacher you need help from. Our school checks our grades about once a quarter to see if we are failing a class and if we are we can't play sports for a few games. It used to be every Monday that they would check grades then they changed it. Do you think that is better for the students?

Lots of research says that students in Harford County Public Schools can fail up to 6 classes in four years of high school and still earn a Maryland diploma. But the local school board voted to adopt the more stringent No Pass/No Play rule, by gradually limiting the number of classes a student could fail and still participate in extracurricular activities. It used to be if you were failing two classes you could but then it was one and then none. Most schools are this way because graduating is more important even though lost of schools want you to go out for sports but they also need you caught up in your classes.

Lots of parents punish their children by grounding them or taking something away from them when they have bad grades or are failing a class. So that gives them a chance to change and focus more on their grades. Sometime it's not the best option to take things away from their child, a lot of kids love sports and that's their way of getting out of the house, letting everything go and just being a kid. Sports can really help a kid develop new things, but it can also take the benefit away from their learning. I think that graduating from high school is more important than playing sports and focusing on them a lot more. If you can’t do sports and have good grades I don’t think its best for you.

Kids shouldn't be able to play if they fail a class because it teaches the child that the commitments he or she made when they became a member of a sports team really are not important enough that they can't be broken. It also deprives the child of the chance to learn new skills that may actually improve academic performance.

Have you ever had to sit out of a game or two becasue of your classes? 

If you are in a sport do you ever struggle with homeowork/grades and the sport? 

If you don't do sports what are your thoughts on this? 

https://www.momsteam.com/successful-parenting/youth-sports-parenting-basics/parents-role/pulling-a-child-off-a-sports-team-for-poor-grades#:~:text=It%20teaches%20the%20child%20that,may%20actually%20improve%20academic%20performance. 

https://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/Children-And-Sports-061.aspx#:~:text=Sports%20help%20children%20develop%20physical,become%20a%20money%2Dmaking%20business. 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I have never had to sit out becuase of gardes tho I did have failing grades and dropped football. I just struggle in school in general. I think that they should be able to play but if they have a F for so long they can't play.

• I think if the have a F they shouldnt be able to play and need to go to that teacher and ask for help so they can still play sports and have fun

• I can understand that sports are very important for many students because they can just let everything else go. In my opinion, graduating is more important because it impacts your future opportunities. If you can't handle having good grades and doing a sport, you might have to take a step back and don't play in a sport. 

• I agree, lots of people fail classes and are still in sports but they need to focus on graduating first 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I agree focus more on school then sports

• I feel like extracurricular activities are important, but not important enough to go to when you are failing a class. Our main job at this age is to be students and pass our classes so we can go on to the next grade. I feel like school is important, even though many of us hate it. If you really care about your extracurriculars, then you will work hard to be allowed to stay in them. 

• I agree, graduating is more important than thinking youre going D1 in a sport when youre not

• I personally believe that a person's education is far more important in the long run than sports. In the "real world,' you're going to be needing some (not all) of the skills being taught in the classroom while you won't be needing to know how to run around a track. The "No Pass/No Play" rule is a very good incentive for student-athletes and musicians to try their hardest in the classroom.

• I agree, you need to learn more in school than sports

• I have never had to sit out of any sport but I am in jazz and one of the most important players was failing a class and we thought we would have to not compete in a competition but he got his grade up and we were able to compete. I have jazz practice everyday after school and I get home around 5:30 every night with no exceptions and we even come in on our days off and sometimes during breaks. I also do not hvae a study hall. Some days I find myself staying up late just trying to do all my homework so I do struggle with this. I also feel that you should not be able to go to practice if you have a failing grade, this gives a chance to do homework instead of practice.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker