Should we lessen the use of antibiotics

An antibiotic is a type of fungi that stops the growth of a disease, fungi, or infection. The fungi that stops a disease, fungi, or infections is called penicillin which is found in soil and was discovered in 1930 by Alexander Fleming.

Alexander discovered this by leaving a petri dish over the holidays to discover a growth of Staphylococcus( staph infection most commonly found in the nose of healthy people/ really common for wrestlers to get). He found that the fungi(penicillin) growing around it was stopping the infection from spreading further.

The main use of antibiotics is to stop the spread of infection. But research is finding out that these viruses are becoming immune to the antibiotics or are not as effective anymore. Scientists believe that since we have been using the same type of bacteria for antibiotics since the 70’s that the bacteria are evolving to not be affected by this anymore. And since not a lot of research has been done on antibiotics since the 70’s it might be too late to make a new one.  

There might be some solutions to our problems though. Like instead of giving out antibiotics for an upset stomach or a common cough just let it heal itself. And almost 70% of doctors prescribe antibiotics without further look into what is actually happening. To sum it up we basically need to stop giving out so many antibiotics.

Do you think we should lessen the use? Why or why not? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that we should lessen the use to an extent. some people might need a lot of antibiotic to survive and if we lessen it then they might die. But the people who dont need a lot of antibiotic then we could lessen it for them so we can still use it on other people.

• In my opion I belive that we should lessen the use of all the antibiotics we use. I believe that their are way to many antibiotics in the world today. Sometimes people can get addited to some kind of drug that they just buy it for drug use. If we limit the amount we use that stuff won't happen as often.

• In my opinion there is a lot of cases in which poeple use antibiotics when it is not necessary so we should definitely lessen their use. The use of antibiotics should be prescribed by a doctor or an specialized person. The over use of antibiotics can end up with bacteria or viruses not going out of your body and just becoming smaller. In order not to happen these, the best optiont would be to lessen the use of them.

• I agree with what you said, I agree that, yes there are many casess where people do over use antibiotics or they use them when they are not neccessay. I also agree that antibiotics should be prescribed by a doctor before anything else is to happen.

• I don't think that humans should lessen their use of antibiotics. I think this because antibiotics have helped us the past few years in fighting off diseases/viruses. However, a lot of people overuse antibiotics. They also have self-control so it's their fault if they use any drugs for fun and not to take care of any sickness they may have. There is also so much we don't know about the product that we could be putting our own bodies at risk. 

• Yes, because most of the antibiotics we all use, have different fungi's and bacterias, we don't even know what we're putting into our bodies. I think we should read more and be more cautious of what antibiotics we are taking. 

• I agree with what you said, I agree that most antibiotics are filled with tons of random fungi that we do not even know what they do to our body. I think that you are also right about how we should try to get more research done on the fungi in them and what they do to us.

• I do not think that people should use fewer antibiotics. I think that antibiotics are the best way to treat people when they need them most. I understand that many people overuse antibiotics, but that is a problem that people should solve by themselves, the external self conflicts should not get in the way of citizens' health.

• I do not think that we should lessen the use. I think that antibiotics help a lot of sick people get better. I do think that doctors should look further into it to make sure that antiniotic is right for the patient and they are not taking the wrong antibiotics for them.

• I think that you should still be able to get them if you are in real pain. However, I think too that we should lower the use because otherwise where will we end up eventually? Furthermore, the doctors need to be more cautious when giving out antibiotics. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker