Should we lessen the use of antibiotics

An antibiotic is a type of fungi that stops the growth of a disease, fungi, or infection. The fungi that stops a disease, fungi, or infections is called penicillin which is found in soil and was discovered in 1930 by Alexander Fleming.

Alexander discovered this by leaving a petri dish over the holidays to discover a growth of Staphylococcus( staph infection most commonly found in the nose of healthy people/ really common for wrestlers to get). He found that the fungi(penicillin) growing around it was stopping the infection from spreading further.

The main use of antibiotics is to stop the spread of infection. But research is finding out that these viruses are becoming immune to the antibiotics or are not as effective anymore. Scientists believe that since we have been using the same type of bacteria for antibiotics since the 70’s that the bacteria are evolving to not be affected by this anymore. And since not a lot of research has been done on antibiotics since the 70’s it might be too late to make a new one.  

There might be some solutions to our problems though. Like instead of giving out antibiotics for an upset stomach or a common cough just let it heal itself. And almost 70% of doctors prescribe antibiotics without further look into what is actually happening. To sum it up we basically need to stop giving out so many antibiotics.

Do you think we should lessen the use? Why or why not? 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that the use should be lowered. But without saying, if you need them you should be able to. I think that doctors should be more cautious when they prescribe antibiotics so they can still stay effective and help us get healthy again

• I think that if you really need antibiotics you should be able to use them, but the doctors should have that written down so you dont overuse them. I think that in all they should be lessoned overall because they shouldnt be needed for every sickness or hurt a person expiriences. 

• I agree with what you said, I agree that if you really need antibiotics then you should be able to get them and whenever and where ever you need them. I also agree that doctors should write down if you should use them or not and set a time for how long you need to take them.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker