Should we legalize the selling of Human Organs?

Should we legalize the selling of Human Organs?

6,500 global deaths every year. If you are in desperate need of a new Organ or kidney, how far would you go to get one? Well in the US and many other countries selling these vital organs is considered illegal. Numerous American citizens need these organs to live, and they must pay an excruciating amount because their country does not offer legal organ sales. Legalizing human organ sales would be good for America's medical economy by lowering the cost of medical procedures and imported supplies, it would open a new world of business and entrepreneurship, and strengthen our medical system as a whole. 

The costs of organ transplants have increased over many years due to backups on the organ waiting list. Today over 100,000 people are waiting for vital organs, and over 15 people die each day on the organ waiting list. Making it legal for Americans to sell vital organs would help cure the number of people that die on the waiting list while also lowering the cost of these procedures. With a shorter distance to import organs and a higher in-country supply, there will be more available for those who need them most. 

If there was a law passing the sale of organs, that could open up many opportunities for entrepreneurs to open a business trying hospitals and medical centers all over the United States. This could be a great way to employ more people all over the USA and make the process of transporting and distributing these organs more efficient and safe. Though this line of work may be controlled by the government, I think that this would still be a great way to include more American citizens in the country's workforce. 

America could also benefit from this new area of healthcare. The US is ranked last overall for medical care in the entire world. If America got more invested in legalizing Vital Organ sales, this country would become more advanced and better treat those who are suffering; raising the country's overall medical status. Of course, there are still many other things that will need to improve, but joining the many other countries that are legalizing the selling of organs will be good for our country.

Some people may argue that selling human organs is inhumane; however, there could be so much go0d done by legalizing this. More people receive the care that they need, and patients will not need to pay an exorbitant amount of money to get the care they need. 

America is one of the few countries that does not allow for legal organ sales. I see a way for America to prosper from this. Passing a law to legalize the selling of human organs would not only be good for the budgets of the patients, but also for employment, entrepreneurship, and providing care at a faster and more efficient rate, to help the many people on the Organ waiting list.

What do you think?

Should America legalize the selling of human Organs?

Would American-sold organs lower their overall surgery cost?

How much should an organ transplant cost?

Sources:

https://bakadesuyo.com/2010/02/how-much-are-your-internal-organs-worth-on-th/#:~:text=After%20the%20organ%20broker%E2%80%94the,than%20you%20were%20hoping%20for).

https://www.statista.com/statistics/808471/organ-transplantation-costs-us/

https://business.uccs.edu/sites/g/files/kjihxj2561/files/inline-files/Legalizing%20the%20Sale%20of%20Human%20Organs_0.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't really think it would be a good idea for people to just be able to sell their organs legally. It could get kind of ugly. Especially if people wanted to sell other people's organs. I think no matter what surgery you do it's going to be expensive, so it doesn't matter how much it costs. 

• I do not agree. Though many people may think that it is ugly to sell organs, it is a semi-safe practice. People should not be scared of selling organs, they are something that everyone has and should be comfortable with discussing and treating these problems and surgeries.

• I think that if people would sell organs and it would lower the transplant cost and make it more common for people to get an organ transplant if they need them. So I think that america should legalize the sale of human organs so it is easier to get one.

• I think that selling organs should be legalized in America. Being able to sell/recieve organs can be insanely benefitual for people in need. If more people had access to the organs that would save their life, there wouldn't be as many deaths from sick people.

• I agree. Getting American access to these extra organs could greatly help our country and the weak medical system that it has. I think that on of the greatest flaws with our system is the number of untreatable patients. These patients are always dying because they can not get the organs that they need to survive. 

• I do not think that it should be legal for people to sell human organs. I think it could make things unsafe and could be harmful during/after surgery. I think that some people are so desperate for money they would sell organs and harm themselves even more. 

• I do not agree. I think that it would be safe. The medical professionals performing these operations are doing them every day, so they are very good at them. I also agree with your other claim. People may sell their organs to get money but that is up to the person making that decision and no one else.

• I think that America should legalize the selling of human organs. Many people with various health issues or people who have organs that are failing wait for years to get a transplant because they're waiting for a donor, and many people don't ever get one. This could also make healthcare more easily accessable and would overall make the country a better place. 

• I do not think that is should be legal for people to sell organs. I think that a lot of people who are desprate for money will do it and then not have the proper after care the surgery. I think that all in all it is not safe nor is it very realistic. 

• I disagree. I do not understand how it would be unsafe because many people perform organ transplants each day and they go fine, also I think it could very much be realistic because it has been passed in other countries that have gone through the same things that America has, and their organ trade systems work fine.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker