Should We have Weighted GPA's?

What is a weighted GPA? A weighted GPA, or grade point average, is a form of averaging a student's grades whilst taking the difficulties of the classes they are taking into account. In a normal GPA each math, science, english and history class is valued with 1.0 points. But, in a weighted grade point average, AP,  or advanced placement, classes and honors classes are worth more than 1.0 point. In most weighted grade point average calculations they are worth an extra 1.0 point. This means that straight A’s with one advanced placement or honors class is equal to a grade point average of 5.0, compared to an unweighted GPA equal to a 4.0 with the same classes.

What are some of the benefits of having a weighted grade point average? One of the main benefits of having a weighted grade point average scale is that students that take harder classes will be rewarded with a higher class ranking. Since advanced placement and honors classes result in a grade point average higher than 4.0, such as a 4.75, students taking these classes will be bumped up in the class rankings against students that are taking grade level classes. This higher class ranking helps academically gifted students stand out to colleges. A weighted grade point average also gives students a reason to take harder classes. Students are putting their grade point averages at risk by taking classes that are harder to get good grades in. Without a weighted GPA, there is no incentive for students to take these harder classes, it would simply be a risky decision with no chance of a pay off.

What are some of the arguments against having a weighted GPA scale? The main argument against following a weighted grading system is that it would greatly decrease the enrollment rates in non-weight elective classes. This would be caused by students only taking classes that are weighted to make their grade point average look better. This could cause these classes to not have enough students to have a class, which can take away opportunities from other students. Many people also say that it is unfair to students that are not as academically gifted and do not have the opportunity to take these weighted classes.

What do I think? Currently our school does not have a weighted grade point average, but I personally would love it if our school followed a weighted grade point average scale. As a student that has previously and is currently taking majority advanced placement and honors classes I would personally benefit greatly from this change. In my opinion it simply makes sense that students that put in the extra effort and took the risk of taking an AP or honors class should get some kind of reward for it. I also do not see how it would be unfair to students that cannot perform well enough in school to take these advanced classes because they still have the opportunity to achieve a 4.0 GPA. I think that if anything, it is more unfair to the students that are taking these harder classes, because they are the ones that are risking lowering their grade point averages below a 4.0 without any possibility of accomplishing a higher grade point average.

Do you thnk we should have a weighted GPA?

Would you personally benefit from a weighted GPA?

If you do not think we should have one, what adverse consequences do you think there would be?

https://www.albert.io/blog/how-do-you-calculate-your-weighted-gpa/#:~:text=What%20is%20a%20weighted%20GPA,4.0%20of%20the%20unweighted%20scale. 

https://glennmaxmcgee.com/weighted-grades-the-case-against-them/#:~:text=Reasons%20Against%20Weighted%20GPAS&text=Weighted%20grading%20creates%20undue%20and,inequities%20in%20our%20school%20systems.

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Great topic choice and super job Reese!!

• I think that we should have graded GPA's. It would allow smarter people to stand out to collages. It would be an easier way for them to stand out so they could get a scolership. It would also promote students to work harder for their grade. 

• I think that we should have a weighted GPA because it would make the smarter people stand out more. Someone in grade level classes could have the same GPA as someone working way harder than them. I think that it would be more fair to the advanced students.

• I personally believe that we should have weighted GPA's because if you are taking a really hard class and you fail it that could have been you'r ticket to a college or to a univercity but I think that it would be really helpfull for our school to switch to a weighted GPA system.

• I agree with you that one of the crucial reasons we should switch to a weighted grade point average is because of college acceptance. Students are putting there future at risk by taking these classes without the reward of having a weighted GPA as a "safety net", incase they do poorly in the more difficult class. 

• I think that we should have a weighted GPA. A weighted GPA helps students applying for colleges stand out, and gives them a higher chance of getting accepted. I would personally benefit from a weighted GPA and would be up for the challenge of taking a more advanced class. But for students that do not feel they are ready for those classes, could simply choose to opt out of those classes as they still have the chance for a 4.0 GPA. 

• I completely agree with you that we should have a weighed grade point average because it helps students that are taking advanced classes. It greatly helps these students stand out to college admissions officers as well as scholarships.

• I think we should have a weighted GPA in our school because we should be rewarded for taking harder classes and more advanced classes. I probably would not benefit from a weighted GPA becuase I probably cannot see myself taking advanced classes or honor classes.

• I think that our school should have a weighted GPA because it would make it more fair for kids in more advanced classes. I would benefit from a weighted GPA because I'm in advanced classes. Kids in more advanced classes may have to work harder to keep their grade up so this would help them with that. 

• I agree with you that students in these advanced classes will most likely have to work harder to maintain good grades. Similarly to you, I believe that it would only be fair to these students that are risking their grades to get some kind of advantage.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker