Should Vaping and E-cigarettes be banned?

In the past years, vaping has become very popular. I would even say it is even more popular than smoking cigarettes. Vaping contains nicotine and which is a very addictive chemical. You might've heard of the brand “JUUL” before, which was known to be one of the top vapes in 2020-2021. However, on June 23, 2022, the FDA made Juul stop selling all of their products in the United States  This included removing products currently on the market, including Juul devices and pods. E-cigarettes were the 4th most popular tobacco product in 2019. In 2018 it was estimated that 1 in 5 high school students owned a “Juul” or another type of e-cigarette. 

Some may say that there are pros like, it can help adults quit smoking and prevent youth from smoking. But I do not think that vaping is any better than smoking. I think it is worse. Research says that one cartridge that goes in a vape has 20 cigarettes in it and a teen is more likely to to smoke those cartridges at a must faster rate than cigarettes. Some may say that Vaping is a “safer” way to ingest tobacco. However, I strongly disagree. Vaping can cause a thing called  “popcorn” lungs which can ruin your lungs and can even cause death.

There are many cons but a few are, vaping is causing a serious addiction in young kids. Vaping is also much easier to “smoke” than cigarettes. For example, you could vape in the bathroom without having a strong smell to you whereas if you were to smoke a cigarette you would be able to smell it on your clothes. Another cause is that vaping can cause serious health problems like depression, lung disease, or even strokes. Vaping can cause addiction to other drugs that could be more serious and could harm you a lot more. One last con is that e-cigarettes can start on fire and explode. Some people have lost body parts (like an eye, tooth, or tongue) due to e-cigarettes exploding. Airports even ban all vapes or e-cigarettes to go under the plane in case it would explode under the plane. 

I think vaping is very bad and should be banned in all states. Vaping is not any better than smoking cigarettes. Banning vaping could save many people's lives. And prevent future addictions to worse drugs.

1. Is vaping worse than smoking in your opinion?
  2. Do you think e-cigarette companies are targeting young kids?
  3. How do you think we can prevent vaping?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/is-vaping-with-e-cigarettes-safe/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that vaping should be banned. There isn't enough research to determine how detrimental vaping is, but I feel like it is worse than cigarettes. It is also awful how many teenagers are vaping. I feel like cigarettes and vaping should be banned. There should be laws against them. There are other ways to get nicotine into your body other than inhaling it. 

• Yes, a lot of teenagers are vaping. 

• Vaping is about the same as smoking because you are still smoking nicotine but vaping you are basiclly inhaleing toxic meatls. Smoking ciggerates are twice as bad as vaping because there are many teenagers that are starting to vape.

• I agree, they are both bad. 

• I personally believe vaping is worse than smoking cigarettes. Yes, I think e-cigarette companies are targeting pre-teens/teenagers. I believe banning vapes will help prevent minors from vaping. 

• I agree, it is worse than smoking.

• Yes, I do believe that vaping is worse than smoking because you are inhaling toxic metals. I think that many people don't believe this because it hasn't been around long enough, so we haven't see what it will do to people yet. I don't think we should ban them because it's not going to stop people anyways.

• Yes, you are inhaling lots of toxic metals. 

• Vaping is worse than smoking in many ways; for example, with vaping you are inhaling toxic metals produced cheaply in China. Another reason is when the vape runs out of battery when you are vaping the battery will start to melt and you can inhale the battery.

• Yes, there are lots of harmful things in them. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker