Many students have study hall for at least one period of the day. however most kids just sit on their phones and do not work on work so what is the point of us being there, many students would like to go home during their study hall and they can't because they have to get signed out, students should be able to leave during there study halls so they have free time in between classes to refocus ourselves During the school day the administration is responsible for the safety of all students In order to fulfill this responsibility the administration feels it necessary to monitor students from the time they arrive at school to the time they get home

Students are currently expected to stay in study hall because the administration believes study hall encourages productivity and ensures students’ safety allowing responsible students to go home during study hall would allow them to use their periods more efficiently students who need to write essays or work on projects would be able to do so in a quiet space with familiar computers and materials. Students participating in after-school activities can get a head-start on their homework and save valuable time.  

While student safety is perhaps a more valid concern than student productivity responsible upperclassmen can be expected to accept liability for themselves while off-campus. in terms of legal responsibility, a system can easily be put in place to release the school of accountability for a student’s safety while he or she is off campus. It is important to remember that an off-campus privilege would be more precise than a privilege.

Do you think students should be able to leave during study hall? 

Do you think this could improve engagement while the teachers teach?

https://bphawkeye.org/editorial-2/2016/10/25/students-should-be-allowed-to-leave-during-study-hall-or-lunch/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I agree with this we could potentially loose time to work on our assignment but this could be different for many people depending on how far away you live

• I don't understand why you would want to leave study hall just to go home and do the same thing you could have done at school. But if the school were going to give this privilege to any of the students, they should probably only give it to juniors and seniors.

• I know that underclassman can be very unresponsible. I don't think that underclassmen should be able to just leave and have open campus. I think Juniors are reliable enough. But probably not sophmores and definitely not freshman.

• i agree with this some people are irresponsible when they have freedom because they could potentially not come back for the rest of the day

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that underclassmen should have the ability to leave school during study halls. I think that during their first two years of highschool study halls are very important to creating good habits surrounding their school work.

• I don't think they should be allowed to leave for study hall, but they should be able to leave for lunch. Plenty of upper-classmen (with their driver's licenses) are friends with lower classmen and want to lunch with them. Not a lot of freshmen have their licenses, so allowing them to leave for study halls wouldn't be doing much for them. 

• Yes, I do think that underclassmen should be able to leave study hall. However, I think that most underclassmen would leave even if they have work. I don't think that they would ever get their work done. Teachers would not be happy with that outcome. I don't think that this will have any benefit for engagement.

• I think that it should be an option for under classmen to leave during study hall. I have 8th hour study hall, and if I had nothing to do, I could just leave and get to work or go home earlier. I don't necesarilly think that it would improve engagement of students, however it might because it gives the kids a break that isn't just sitting in a study hall.

• I agree with this if you have study hall 8th hour your pretty much just sitting there on your phone and we could go home and do our work at home

• Yes, I do think that underclassmen should be able to leave during their study hall because a lot of the time they don't have anything to work on and they are just on their phone. I don't think it will improve engagement, but I still think that it would benefit many students.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker