Many students have study hall for at least one period of the day. however most kids just sit on their phones and do not work on work so what is the point of us being there, many students would like to go home during their study hall and they can't because they have to get signed out, students should be able to leave during there study halls so they have free time in between classes to refocus ourselves During the school day the administration is responsible for the safety of all students In order to fulfill this responsibility the administration feels it necessary to monitor students from the time they arrive at school to the time they get home

Students are currently expected to stay in study hall because the administration believes study hall encourages productivity and ensures students’ safety allowing responsible students to go home during study hall would allow them to use their periods more efficiently students who need to write essays or work on projects would be able to do so in a quiet space with familiar computers and materials. Students participating in after-school activities can get a head-start on their homework and save valuable time.  

While student safety is perhaps a more valid concern than student productivity responsible upperclassmen can be expected to accept liability for themselves while off-campus. in terms of legal responsibility, a system can easily be put in place to release the school of accountability for a student’s safety while he or she is off campus. It is important to remember that an off-campus privilege would be more precise than a privilege.

Do you think students should be able to leave during study hall? 

Do you think this could improve engagement while the teachers teach?

https://bphawkeye.org/editorial-2/2016/10/25/students-should-be-allowed-to-leave-during-study-hall-or-lunch/ 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think if you have all your work done and are passing your classes with a C or higher you should be able to leave study hall. But some people dont show up back on time which affects us not being able to leave and some people would leave anyways if they arent passing classes 

• I agree with this, we should have to have a c or higher to show some way that we are responsible enough to come back

• I beleive that students should be able to leave for study hall because it can give time for even just fresh air and to get out to relax a bit wich i beleve will hel productivitiy 

• i agree with this sometimes we need some fresh air and it would help productivity 

• I think that the system we have right now works. I think that if you allow too many people to leave during school most kids will end up late or not show up. I htink that the senior and juniors should have open campus because they are mature enoguh to be able to get their work done.

• I don't think underclassmen should be able to leave. A lot of underclassmen are immature and would disrespect this privilege, which would end up being taken away for all grade levels. A lot of underclassmen do not have their licenses, so it would be unsafe and unlogical for them to leave for 40 minutes a day without a reason.

• I think the system we have in place right now works very well. As a younger student, I really wanted to have open campus all throughout high school, but in hindsight, I'm glad I was forced to go to work time during school because it definitely didn't hurt my grades. I think if you give younger grades open campus they wouldn't be as responsible with it as the older grades have shown to be. 

• I think that all students should have the opportunity to leave during study hall. I think that it gives students responsibility and shows trust between students and teachers. I think that a lot of kids don't do anything super significant in study hall so they can be useless. I think that students should have to keep a c or above to be eligible to be able to leave. 

• I agree with this all student should have and opportunity to leave during study hall it could give students responsibility and could show trust 

• I think students should be able to leave during study hall as long as they aren't failing any classes. I think if they let kids leave during study hall the kids would be more focused and the kids might even get more of their homework done through the year.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker