This past year trans gender athletes have been dominating sports that that have transitioned into. I think that they should not be allowed to play sports with the gender they transition into.

For example, Lia Thomas, she had made the decision to become a women and continue swimming. She had dominated the competition and is seconds away from Katie Ledecky’s record. Even if your on the testosterone blockers, you still have the strength of a man. Men are genetically stronger than women. So if you want to be a women than avoid playing sports. Katlin Genner said last year that “Trans gender record breaking swimmer should not compete with women”. I agree with her on that because we are just made to be bigger.

Women are strong but, men can gain and loose weight and muscle way faster than women. Wrestling for example, I can loose 15 pounds in under two weeks and it might take a girl to loose 8 pounds in two weeks. I think that women  and men should not compete together and nor should trans gender.
All in all what you do is up to you but I think that they should be separate and not be able to compete together. 

Questions-

1. Should they be allowed in sports as the gender they Identify 

2. should we make a different league for them 

3. what do you thinl about Lia thoumas competing

Sources-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/01/20/caitlyn-jenner-transgender-athletes-womens-sports/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Of course there are the biological and physical differences between men and women. That's why I also think that it wouldn't be fair to let trans people compete against cis people. However, we cannot forbid them to compete in sports. We still need to create awareness for trans (and non-binary) people. So I think that we could definitely consider  creating a different league. We need to find ways to develop sport to make it more inclusive for all genders. 

Lia Thoumas probably trained very hard in order to achieve what she did. But nevertheless she might have had an unfair advantage. I don't want to critize her competing but more the general way of handling trans people in sport.  

• I agree with you to a point. I think we do a good job of already making awarness of trans folks. I think that Lia Thomas felt like a women and decided to change and still compete witch is fine until she wanted to compete in female sports. Do not get me worng she worked hard to get to college for it but the time difference is crazy that proves that it is not an even fight for "cis" women and trans women to compete against one and other. I think that if they want to swim they need to swim with the gender they were born as. 

• I don't think they should be able to participate, unless they are a true gender. For example if you are a D1 athlete and want to change genders, then it isn't fair to the people they are playing against. Another example is that depending on what sport you are playing men usally have more strengh, so that is a huge disadvantage. 

• I agree, if you decide to change and you are already good at sports you should not play. People work hard to get to where they want to go. If you change and take someones spot that is not ok. Just because you feel that way to change you can't just play other sports and dominate men are bigger strong and faster most of the time. So it is not fair to the women trying to compete and win.

• 1. I dont think they should be allowed to compete as the gender they identify as. Simplly because men and women are naturally built so much diffrent then eachother. Most men are stronger than women physically. And women are typically more flexible. 

2. Yes I feel that would be a good compramise. 

3. I think that Lea probably did work extremely hard and deserved to win. But i think she did have a unfair advantage. 

• I agree with you, Lia was about 400 in the rankings for swimming in the male league. Than once she made her chance she went to number 1. She might have felt like a women but when she changed over to a women she still wanted to compete but on the girls team in my mind is wrong!

• Transgender athletes especially male athletes that transitioned into female should not play with the gender they transitioned in too. For example a female athlete thats transgender is still genetilcaly a male and that athlete can build more muscule than the other females. I dont think it would make sense to make transgender leagues because im assuming it would basically just be the same as leagues now except the mens league would be biologically girls and the girls league would be biologically men so that doesnt really make sense and is kinda pointless. Last Lia Thoumas should not swim with other females.

• I think that transgender people should not be able to compete in the gender they identify with because many of athlete work hard to get better each day and it would not be fair If that transgender person raced against them. Like you said Lia Thomas went from men league to women league because she wasn't good and turned around and won national champship in swimming.

• I agree with you, for me transgender people shouldn't play sports in the gender they identify with because as you said, it can be a disadvantage for the other athletes. I don't honestly think we should make another legue for them because their body composition is still the one from their original gender. In my opinion they should play in their original gender competitions. For me Lia Thomas should never competed in the girls competition and if she wanted to continue swimming should have done it in the boys competition.

• I think that transgender people should be allowed to compete in sport with their gender after they have reached the end of their transition treatment. No other league should be made for them because it would segregating them from their peers. Lia competing is not a good thing because she hasn't completed her entire treatment.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker