Should There Be More Gun Control?

Should buying a gun be harder than it already is? Today there are a couple of steps to purchasing a pre-built manufactured weapon. Either you have to have a permit to carry or a permit to acquire. Though you do not need the permits. You will have to complete a NICS(National Instant Criminal Background Check System) form each time you purchase a firearm.

To get either permit you will have to go to your county sheriff's office to fill out a form. If you choose not to get the permits you can take the NICS form before the purchase. The NICS is a background check created by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993. That is before you are able to purchase a firearm. During the process of getting a firearm though you have to fill out Form 4473. This form was created by the ATF (The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) on January 16, 2017. It is a six-page form that you need to sign every time you buy a weapon from an FFL (Federal Firearms Licensed dealer). After purchasing a firearm, the individual needs to be 18+ to purchase any ammo for the weapon.

In my opinion, I think that there should not be more gun control. I think this because it is starting to become unconstitutional. People should be able to own and bear firearms. Adding more laws to limit the number of people to own weapons. I think owning the permits and having background checks is a little much but is needed to lessen the number of deaths and accidents. 

Do you think that there should be more gun control? Why?

Would you own a gun in the future?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control 

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions 

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Well done Ethan!

• I don't think that there should be too much more gun control knowing the fact that most Americans have a gun to protect themselves and family. I might own a gun in the future just so I can protect myself.

•  I think that there should be more gun control or at least have more gun control in larger cities. I think it is less likely for things like school shootings or just normal shootings in small towns like Harlan. However big shootings happen all the time in big town in places like Chicago or New York.

• no this would take away our second amendment, so i believe that we derseve the right to own guns. 

yes i will own a gun as i love to hunt.

• I do understand both sides of the argument. On one side, there are way to many deaths that involve gun violence. On the other hand, adding more gun control would take away our second amendment rights. Also, many ghost guns would be put into people's hands illegally if guns were harder to get.

• There has to be more gun control. Guns kill way too many people in this world. I don't know exactly how the government could control it, but they are a lot smarter than me so I think they will figure it out eventually. I will own a gun in the future just so I can protect my family in my house. 

• I absolutely think there should be more gun control. Those who cannot handle a gun with saftey and precaution should not be able to own them. It might be harder to get a gun with more rules, but if you can't get past simple background checks and different requirements maybe you shouldn't own a gun. 

• I do believe that there should be some gun control, but I am not sure how much there should be. I don't think changing it will have that much of an effect because there are always going to be people who have guns that probably shouldn't and this will never change.

• I personally don't think there should be more gun control and I think that it's fine the way it is. I think this because of how hard it is to get a gun now and how there will still be people being able to obtain it illegally anyways.

• There should be gun control, however, I do not know if there should be more or less. No matter how hard we try, there will always be people with guns that shouldn't have them. I do plan on owning a gun in the future. Now, in Iowa, you can buy a handgun without a permit and carry it as long as you have a clean criminal record.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker