Should The United States Have Universal Healthcare?

According to the CDC, 97 millions of people worldwide can not access quality healthcare services. Healthcare started in the 1700s, but healthcare insurance did begin until the 1920s. In the 1950s the prices of hospital care doubled. This was due to the discovery of new medications and techniques quickly arising. 

Many of the healthcare places people go don't have the personnel and technology requirements needed to meet the needs of the clients. People are denied care due to the high cost of the care needed as they don’t have any healthcare insurance. People also get denied care due to their race, age, and or disability status. People don’t get recommended the needed healthcare services because their insurance won't cover the cost. It could also be that the services they need are too far away. 1 in 10 people in the United States doesn't have health insurance. People that don't have insurance are less likely to get the primary care they need. They also would have to pay out of pocket. Most don’t have enough money to pay out of pocket for the co-pay and medicine needed. People with no insurance are also less likely to get properly evaluated. Hospitals only care if the people have insurance to pay for their visits. They want to make money, and people that have no insurance would cause them to lose money. So the staff will likely have to deny them care due to the fact that they don’t have insurance. 

In my opinion, I think people without health insurance still should be treated as if they have it. If you were broke a bone and needed an orthopedic surgeon the doctor should recommend you to one close. Many of these clinics or hospitals don’t have all the technology or personnel needed to meet patient requirements. They should still recommend you to one close by. I think everyone should be able to receive care if needed. 

Do you think Doctors and or Nurses should deny people care?

Do you think age, disability, or race should have an impact on the care received?

Do you think the United States Should try Universal Healthcare coverage? and why?

Sources:

https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/topics/healthcare-access

https://health.gov/healthypeople/objectives-and-data/browse-objectives/health-care-access-and-quality

https://www.griffinbenefits.com/blog/history-of-healthcare

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• This is a really big topic and one that is not easy to explain. You diud a really good job with it. Well done Olivia!

• Universal healthcare should be something that is available to everyone no matter their financial state. No one should be turned away from care just because they simply can't afford it. I think a basic human right is being able to get the right care and the care you need. 

• Universal heathcare would be great for the US. I do not think that doctors should deny people care if they actually need it. Its sad that people that people cant afford helthcare if they are sick or hurt and they just have to live with it if they dony have enough money for treatment. 

• I agree with you, I think nobody should ever be denied care. I think the universal heathcare would benifit the United States in many ways.

• I think everyone whether they are poor or not should be able to have healthcare. If you are hurt or sick and you don't have enough money then I feel they should still have to help you if you need it, I don't think they should deny care. Nothing should impact whether you have care or not. I do think they should try Universal Healthcare because it would make it easier for poeple without much money to get care.

• I agree with you 100%, doctors and nurses should never be able to deny people care if needed. 

• I think that Doctors and Nurses should be able to Universial Health Care to anyone who needs it.  I think that if someone is hurt, or needs medication or treatment, then they shoud not have to worry about insurance and costs. They should be able to focus on being and staying healthy.

• I agree with you, the United States should try Universal Healthcare. Anyone who needs care should be able to receive it without worrying about how they are going to pay for it.

• I believe that Doctors and nurses should be allowed to deny people care if the person does not need it. Although, if the patient insist they need it, I believe that they should go to a team of experts to determine if they actually need it or not. I feel like age and disabilities should have an impact on care received because there can be some underlying factors that come from someones age and their disabilities. I think that we should try Universal Healthcare as that would help a lot of people not be afraid of going to the hospital because of their financial situation.

• I agree with you, they should be able to deny someone care if they are just a drug addict and looking for drugs. I agree we should try universal healthcare as it would be beneficial for all of United States citizens. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker