Should the Supreme Court add more seats?

In 1937, President Franklin D Roosevelt proposed an idea that would now be known as “US Supreme court packing”. Court-packing is increasing the number of seats in court to change up the courtroom. In 2019 it was brought back up after Donald Trump appointed Associate Justice Brett Kavanaugh. In 2020, they suggested expanding the court to 15 justices. There are many pros and cons to why we should or shouldn't expand the courtroom.

There are many pros of court-packing. One of which is the court is somewhat imbalanced, and adding justices would ensure that it never reflects only one party’s political agenda. Also, the US Constitution does not say how many justices to have on the supreme court, so it would be easy to change it to more than nine.

But, while there are pros, there are also cons. A big con would be that each president would just be allowed to add justices for rank political reasons. Also, another reason why it is fine where it's at, is that historical precedent most strongly supports a nine-judge supreme court is what's best.

In my opinion, I do not think that the Supreme court should add any more seats. I think that because it has done its best at nine justices, why change it? Also, it would give the presidential party a big advantage in the court.

Do you think there should be nine justices or do you think we should have more?

Do you think it would be unfair to the opposite party of the president if it was changed?

https://www.procon.org/headlines/us-supreme-court-packing-top-2-pros-and-cons/ 

https://www.supremecourt.gov/about/justices.aspx#:~:text=Nine%20Justices%20make%20up%20the,The%20Honorable%20John%20G

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Good job overall Grace and a new topic idea so +5. 

• I think that there should be nine justices in the supreme court because there has been no issues with it. I don't think that there is a good enough reason to change it since it has been the same way for a long time now and changing it would probably cause a lot of problems.

• In my personal opinion, I do not think that changing the way the supreme court process works is a very good idea at all. It was been more or less the same for almost the entirety of the United States of America's history and changing it would most likely cause more problems than it would fix.

• I think that there should be nine justices because there have not been any issues with it. I don't think that there is a reason to change it, and I believe that presidents would use this to their advantage and sign justices of the party that they favor the most. 

• I think we should keep the same number of seats because we haven't had any issues with having nine justices. Since we haven't had any issues with it, there is no reason to change it. Although if we did have to add more seats, we should add two so it makes it eleven. 

• I think the number of seats should stay the same because its done so well with just 9. There is no reason to change it. I think it would be unfair because presidents would take advantage of this by signing justices that they favor most.

• No there would be no need for adding more seats this would not be good because then whoever the president is is going to put it in for republican or democrat whatever the present is I see there not being any pros to this. I also like how there is 9 it's an odd number and most of the time one changes there vote quite often.

• I think we should keep it with nine justices because it seems to work well just how it is. The odd number makes it easy to have a majority and it would take longer to get things through. I also don't think that we need to spend more money and pay more people to do a job that is obviously not needed.

• I think that there should be more juctices because more opions is gonna make the country better because you just dont have 9 people picking one thing. I think it would be unfair if you did this but i still think it would make the world a better place.

• I think that we should not add more. I think that nine is a good number and that if we have more it will just take longer to get things going though. I think that people would just bash more and than there would be better chance of cases getting out. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker