Do you think the military should be allowed to use enhanced interrogation techniques? 

There are many mixed emotions on this topic, many think yes, although there are still a good amount who think no. What are some reasons they would need to use these techniques? 

In many cases this technique would be necessary due to a bomb threat, or a threat of an attack. The first time enhanced interrogation techniques were known to be used was around March - April 2002, when Abu Zubaydah was captured. After this event happened they kept him in isolation for 47 days, then used the waterboarding technique. If you didn’t know, this technique is used to simulate drowning. These techniques are used to get information out of people, but it doesn’t always work out. 

In my opinion to be completely honest, I have mixed feelings about this. I think this because yes in some cases this is the only way you can get the information you need, but there are also many different outcomes that could happen.

Do you think it's safe to use these techniques? 

How do you feel about these techniques?

Should they be allowed? Why or why not?

Sources:

https://irp.fas.org/congress/2014_rpt/ssci-rdi-timeline.pdf

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think that for certain uses they should be allow as long as a profesinal is doing it. because the whole point is to make they they will tell you something so if it is being done by a none profesinal it could hurt someone. so as long as it is done safly and correctly I think it is ok to do.

• I agree, doing these techniques safely is key, and would be a lot better than doing it unsafely. 

• I think that these techniques are not safe. I feel that these techniques should rarely be used if at all. The only time they should be used is when they are dealing with a multi-felon that isn't talking. I think that they should be allowed but only for people that deserve it.

• I agree, these techniques are very dangerous and should be limited by a lot.

• I think that they should use those techniques. Becsue if we did not we would not get infomation. And if we did it could be fake. So by using these techniques we can scare the imformation out of them and we know that they are true and fake. But I think the techniques should be done by professional.

• I feel as if though the information they need would require them to use the techniques then I feel it would be alright. Personally, if the person would've caused a lot of harm to us and other people if we hadn't gotten information from them using these techniques I feel we would all regret it a lot more than if we did use the techniques on them.

• I don't think it's necassirily safe to use these techniques but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes. The people this happens to should have made better choices in the first place so yes, I think they should be allowed espesially if it will save lives.

• I agree, these techniques are dangerous but absolutely neccessary in some situations.

• I think that they should be able to do as they please within reason. If the person they are interrigating didn't do anything bad then they shouldnt be able to go super hard on the person but if they did something really bad like bin laddin then I personally think that they should be able to go as hard as they want to with that as long as they dont kill that person.

• I think these certain interrogation techniques should only be used in very limited cases. My reasoning for that is because these interrogation techniques could possibly be very harmful and dangerous. An example of when to use these techniques would be a terrorist attack against our country killing innocent civilians. 

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker