Should the legal age to drive be lowered to 14?

First, the biggest reason Iowa doesn’t lower the legal age to drive is because of all the safety concers people have with teens. They believe that once you hit age 16 you are closer to being an adult. Iowans believe that two years of driving on one route “school permit” is a good start for teenagers who are starting to drive. In my opion if you pass drivers ed and get a school permit, you should be able to drive wherever you want. If they trust you to drive to school, they should let you drive wherever. Fourteen year olds are more than responsible enough to drive if they passed drivers ed. 

Second, some people think that the legal driving age should stay the same, even go up to eighteen. People don’t believe that teenagers should be driving on their own, until they are an adult. Older people wanted to not have teenagers be able to drive because they don’t want to get hit. In my opion older people shouldn’t be able to drive once they hit a certain age. Not saying that old people shouldn’t drive but the roads are very dangerous for older people. Research shows that teenagers are a huge cause of most accidents on the road. 

Should the driving age be lowered? Why?

Do you drive wherever on a learners permit?

If so, what age should it be lowered to?

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Benefits-Of-Lowering-The-Driving-Age-Essay-F3XAM3FBG5PV

https://www.keepdriving.com/why-driving-age-should-not-be-lowered/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think it should be lowered, yes its true that there are saftey concerns but most 14,15,16 year olds are already doing bad stuff, plus, walking everywhere once we become social and going out with friends more is not a great thing, if we can drive with a permit I see no reason why we can't drive anywhere else without a gardian or a specific route.

• I do not think the legal age should be lowered. At 14 your brain is still isn't fully developed until you are 25. at 14 your prefrontal lobe is still isnt devolped so it's harder to make fast decisions and to be able to drive with distractions. 

• I think that the driving age should be lowered to 15. This means is most situations that the person has been driving for at least a year. This means that their would be more young teens allowed to drive but also somewhat responsible teens.

• I would have  to agree with lowering it to 15.

• I think it should be lowered. If people can get a job at 14 they should be able to drive to work. I think it would be very good to start earlier rather than later. 

• I agree if you are old enough to get a job, you should be able to drive there.

• I think that the age should be lowered to 15 because some students might have experience when they turn 15 and 15 years would have jobs by then and they sometimes don't have a ride so they would maybe have to walk. Sometimes I drive wherever on a learns permit depending on what I need to do like work sometimes I do and for sports sometime I do as well. 

• I would have to agree 15 is a good age.

• I think that the driving age shouldn't be lowered and it should remain the same. I think that if it was lowered, then there would be more accidents. I think that keeping it at 16 gives those 14-year-olds more safe time behind the wheel and allows them to become more comfortable driving.

• Yes I think the driving age should be lowered because some kids need to learn how to drive before 14 in case if something happens. Personally to me I did drive wherever on my learner permits. I think it should be lowered to 13 because at least you have more time and more experience before 16.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker