Should the legal age to drive be lowered to 14?

First, the biggest reason Iowa doesn’t lower the legal age to drive is because of all the safety concers people have with teens. They believe that once you hit age 16 you are closer to being an adult. Iowans believe that two years of driving on one route “school permit” is a good start for teenagers who are starting to drive. In my opion if you pass drivers ed and get a school permit, you should be able to drive wherever you want. If they trust you to drive to school, they should let you drive wherever. Fourteen year olds are more than responsible enough to drive if they passed drivers ed. 

Second, some people think that the legal driving age should stay the same, even go up to eighteen. People don’t believe that teenagers should be driving on their own, until they are an adult. Older people wanted to not have teenagers be able to drive because they don’t want to get hit. In my opion older people shouldn’t be able to drive once they hit a certain age. Not saying that old people shouldn’t drive but the roads are very dangerous for older people. Research shows that teenagers are a huge cause of most accidents on the road. 

Should the driving age be lowered? Why?

Do you drive wherever on a learners permit?

If so, what age should it be lowered to?

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Benefits-Of-Lowering-The-Driving-Age-Essay-F3XAM3FBG5PV

https://www.keepdriving.com/why-driving-age-should-not-be-lowered/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I don't think that the driving age should be lowered. In Germany, the driving age is 18, so I'm already impressed by seeing 14-year-olds driving. I think that 16 is a good age because there is no public transport here and teenagers need to have a chance to be independant from their parents. 

• Personally I don't think driving age should be lowered. Many 14 year olds don't have a lot of experince and they could hurt someone. I think they should be able to drive some places but not to big cities/towns like omaha or denison. 16 is a good age becuase there more mature and have at least 2 years of driving experince. 

• I dont think it should be lowered to 14 becasue a lot of people that age are not good at driving becasue they dont have a lot of experience driving and could kill or hurt someone. I was driving off my route when ib was 15 but not like to denison and omaha. I think its dangerouse for kids driving without a parent at 14 when they barley have any experience.

• I would have to kinda agree that people shouldn't drive to like the city at 14.

• In my opinion the driving age shouldn't be lowered. 16 is a good age limit because teenagers are considered more mature and closer to be an adult. I think that  lowering the age would cause more accidents. However, there is a lot of kids that drive at the age of 14 because they have their school permit and they go wherever with it.

• I agree 14 year olds drive wherever they want today.

• I think what the Iowa law has works great. It lets teens (14) be able to drive with a parent, then can drive to school. With the school permit I feel like it has taught me alot of how to drive by-myself. It is a pain in the butt with not being able to go anywere else but school.

• I would have to disagree let teenagers make their own dissions.

• Absolutely not. And I feel very strongly that the driving age should be bumped up to 18. Kids and driving = bad situations. I feel that kids can be very irresponsible when driving, they get distracted easily, and can't multitask very well when driving. For example, if they're driving and their phone gets a notification, their attention is no longer on the road. Therefore, they're not aware of what's going on around them and they can easily get in an accident. 

• I would have to disagree, 18 is to high.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker