Should the legal age to drive be lowered to 14?

First, the biggest reason Iowa doesn’t lower the legal age to drive is because of all the safety concers people have with teens. They believe that once you hit age 16 you are closer to being an adult. Iowans believe that two years of driving on one route “school permit” is a good start for teenagers who are starting to drive. In my opion if you pass drivers ed and get a school permit, you should be able to drive wherever you want. If they trust you to drive to school, they should let you drive wherever. Fourteen year olds are more than responsible enough to drive if they passed drivers ed. 

Second, some people think that the legal driving age should stay the same, even go up to eighteen. People don’t believe that teenagers should be driving on their own, until they are an adult. Older people wanted to not have teenagers be able to drive because they don’t want to get hit. In my opion older people shouldn’t be able to drive once they hit a certain age. Not saying that old people shouldn’t drive but the roads are very dangerous for older people. Research shows that teenagers are a huge cause of most accidents on the road. 

Should the driving age be lowered? Why?

Do you drive wherever on a learners permit?

If so, what age should it be lowered to?

https://www.ipl.org/essay/Benefits-Of-Lowering-The-Driving-Age-Essay-F3XAM3FBG5PV

https://www.keepdriving.com/why-driving-age-should-not-be-lowered/

You need to be a member of History 360 to add comments!

Join History 360

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• I think the driving age should be lowered. I think that if a young adult who has passed drivers education and their permit tests, then they have enough knowlege and practice to be trusted on the road. A lot of young adults are at the age where they have a job and other responsibilites that they need to drive to, which they would benefit from by lowering the driving age. 

• I agree with you teenagers should have the right to drive wherever they want.

• No, the driving age should not be lowered to 14. Because I know many 14 year old kids that I would never trust to not just drive to school. I think lowering the age would cause a lot more wrecks. It also makes your 16th birthday not as special. 

• I disagree once you hit 14 you can drive wherever.

This reply was deleted.
eXTReMe Tracker